38: Sorry, Yes Sorry

With Dominic held hostage in our dorm room, he couldn't escape unless he got through both Sierra and me. Neither one of us was much of an obstacle, but he wasn't much of a threat, so we were probably about even.

He took a seat at my desk, and I stood just barely out of arm's reach in case the confusion got to him and he started swinging.

He scooted the chair away from me anyway. "God, Lindsay, haven't you ever heard of personal space?"

My heart sank into my stomach. We had been much closer once upon a time, but I didn't mention it. Baby steps.

But before we could get started, my shirt was still wet from the rain outside. "Could you turn around or cover your eyes? I just want to change my shirt."

Dominic turned around in the chair. "Just hurry up with this. I have asthma, and the past few triggers have been stress, so unless you want to deal with that, you better move quickly."

I rolled my eyes as I went to pick out a new shirt. If there was one thing I had learned about Dominic (and that he didn't remember that I knew), it was that he appreciated my collar bones and hated the person behind them. All I could do was play that card and choose something low cut.

Since we left Jack behind to do some damage control, Sierra was the only other person in Harvey's garage who had half a clue of what was going on. When I finished changing, she sat down on her bed with her legs tucked underneath her and waited for me to say something.

I hesitated for an extra moment. No matter what I said, it was going to sound crazy to Dominic and desperate to Sierra. And, unfortunately, I was both of those things and couldn't hide it any longer. "Long story short, I did a bad thing."

Dominic's expression didn't change. He was still pulled away from me, and even my very visible clavicles didn't pull him back in. I looked down for a second. They still looked pretty good to me, but maybe I was biased.

When I looked back at him, our eyes met, and a sense of familiarity rushed through my veins. It was that same feeling right before we kissed both times, that intimate warmth that neither one of us could understand. But that connection was long gone from his memory, and it was my fault.

It was an accident. An entirely preventable one, yes, if I wasn't so impulsive and reckless, but I never meant for it to happen.

"I'm sorry, okay?" I croaked and covered my mouth before any other crybaby noise could come out. "I thought I knew what I was doing, but I'm the same screw-up I've always been. I just want all of this to be over."

"That doesn't answer anything," Dominic said.

When was the lump in my throat going to disappear? Crying wasn't going to do anything now. "I know it doesn't. I just want you to understand that I'm sorry for erasing your memories from the past few weeks. I swear it was an accident, but—"

His face scrunched into a scowl. At least that was a reaction. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

I shook my head as my vision began to blur with tears. How was I supposed to explain it? As far as I knew, he only knew that there was something sketchy going on with the coin. The rest was a little complicated, especially when I wasn't in the mood to talk. But I had spent enough time avoiding things I didn't want to deal with until they got too bad to fix. I wasn't going to do it again.

"I don't know the exact point you remember, but we put ourselves in a crappy situation with someone I knew we couldn't trust, and I tried to fix it with the magic coin we found that's actually a talisman. It worked, but now your memory of the past few weeks is gone, and I'm sorry. You have no idea how bad I feel about it," I said.