Chapter 11

The delicious scent fills my nostrils as I continue stirring the soup. I place the lid over the pot and move over to the oven, grabbing the skewer I poke the cake. It comes out clean so I put on my oven mitts and take it out. After placing it on the counter, I pick up the hand mixer and continue fluffing up the buttercream frosting. 

In the middle of icing the chocolate cake, the doorbell rings. "Fransis, baby, can you get that please?" I call out. Fransis runs in from the backyard with Jamie on his shoulders. "Oh my goodness, be careful with him Fransis!" I shout. "Don't worry baby, he's safe," he shouts back. I shake my head and laugh.

"Mari!!! I know you missed me!" Sophia shouts. "Of course I did Sophia, you're my best friend...more important than my husband," I say the last part in a whisper. "I heard that Mari," Fransis says as he places Jamie on the floor who immediately runs to Sophia and pulls her outside. I laugh at her being dragged away by our son.

In the midst of all the funny chaos I almost didn't notice a little someone kicking in my belly. "Oh...baby, she's kicking," I say to Fransis who immediately runs over to place his hands over my overgrown belly. I place my hands over his and direct them to where the baby is kicking. "Does she want to come out early? Huh princess, you want to come out early?" He says, playfully. "No no no, she should take her time. I already have two other crazy kids to take care of," I say as I picture all the chaos they will cause together. I shudder at the thought. 

Fransis looks up at me, "Thank you for loving me Mari, and for being the mother of my children," He says. "Anytime," I say with a cheeky grin on my face. Fransis smiles before placing a soft kiss on my lips. Our moment is interrupted when my oldest son, John, runs into the room. "Mom, Dad, I'm hungry!" He shouts. I laugh at his cuteness "Alright sweetie, food is ready so we'll eat soon. Fransis, help me take the food outside." I say and he nods.

Outside, our parents sit by the dining table conversing about their daily lives and everything in-between. I glance at my parents for a moment as I remember past memories with them. It's been six months since I found out about John and Quinton and I couldn't tell my parents the truth. I didn't want to ruin the beautiful image they have of my brother, their son. 

"Sweetie, don't just stand there. Come sit, let's start eating," my dad says as his hand gestures to a seat between him and Fransis. I sit down and smile at my family. "Let's eat," I say. Everyone digs in and soon enough starts praising me for cooking such tasty food. 

"I hope you left enough space for dessert," I say. "Of course, If I was on my deathbed and someone asked me what I want as my last meal, I would say I want my daughter's famous chocolate cake!" My dad exclaims excitedly and we all erupt in laughter. 

As the moon and stars shine brightly above us, it feels magical. I watch my two sons run around the yard with their father. Tears start to well up in my eyes before coming down like a waterfall. "Hey, are you okay? Why are you crying? Is it the hormones again?" Sophia, sitting next to me with her arm linked with mine, asks. "I'm actually more than okay, I'm just so happy," I say as more tears fall. "Oh, sweetie..." Sophia says as tears threaten to fall out of her own eyes. We both reach out to wipe away each other's tears and then laugh at the coincidental action. 

I look back at the yard where Fransis stands, watching me and Sophia with a confused look on his face. I laugh and mouth to him 'I love you,' which causes him to lift up his lips into a smile. He mouths back 'I love you too.'

-THE END-