Chapter Five

The trio go on their first date. Lizzie ends up getting home late, and her father is not pleased. Tw: Child abuse

Hope puts herself in charge of planning their date. She decides to go for the tried and true picnic under the stars. She drives to a favorite spot of hers by a nearby lake several hours before to set up. The girl lays down a red plaid blanket and places some candles on the corners to hold it down. Hope put Penelope in charge of food with strict instructions not to go too crazy. She doubts the girl with follow those instructions, however. Hope smiles fondly as she remembers the day she sent the raven haired girl to the store for milk, and she came back with five pints of ice cream along with various toppings, but no milk.

Meanwhile, Penelope is at the store picking up food for the picnic. As Hope predicted, the auburn haired girl's instructions have been completely forgotten and Penelope is grabbing anything that looks mildly interesting. Ice cream sandwiches, three kinds of rolls, turkey, salami, vegan chicken, and a variety of cheeses all go in. For drinks, Penelope selects not one but four kinds of soda. She carries everything home where she loads it into several coolers and waits for Hope to come pick her up. 

At her own house, Lizzie is getting ready for their date. She has chosen some high rise jeans and a white off the shoulder lace blouse. The blonde applies some light makeup before running a brush through her long locks. She slips on some white flats before grabbing her phone. Lizzie heads to the porch to wait, locking the door behind her. Soon, she spots the familiar car driving towards her. Hope is in the driver's seat, Penelope in the passenger's seat. She smiles as Penelope exits the car.

"Hey there cutie. You ready to go?" Penelope greets, offering a hand out for Lizzie to take.

"Yep," Lizzie blushes. 

Penelope helps Lizzie climb into the back seat before getting back into the front seat. Hope grins at Lizzie, and the trio take off, all parties nervous but excited for their date.

******

The date goes well. So well, that they lose track of time. By the time Lizzie is dropped back off at her house, it is an hour past her curfew. She knows her father will be mad. The blonde kisses Penelope and Hope goodbye before entering her house. Sure enough, her father is waiting in the sitting room, a frown on his face. He stands and storms towards his daughter.

"Hi father," Lizzie greets, gulping nervously.

"You're an hour late, Elizabeth!" Alaric growls.

"I'm sorry..." Lizzie mumbles.

She winces as Alaric slaps her across the face. This isn't the first time he has hit her, and won't be the last. He angrily pins her against the wall. The blonde has learned over the years to not cry out as he hits and punches at her as it only furthers his anger. Finally, he leaves Lizzie in a crumpled pile on the floor and storms out of the house, slamming the door behind her. Lizzie heads to her bedroom, curls into a ball, and begins to sob. She doesn't know how much longer she can take this abuse.