Chapter Four

After a sleepover, the girls begin to realize that their feelings are more than platonic. One of them is brave enough to confess.

"Hey Liz," Penelope greets as she slides into a seat at the lunch table beside the blonde. 

"Hi Penelope," Lizzie replies. It has been a few months since Lizzie became friends with Penelope and Hope, and she has been much happier despite her father's continued abuse.

"Not getting started without me, are you?" Hope jokes as she slides into a seat across from the pair.

"Uh, duh. We're hungry and you are slow," Penelope teases. 

"It's not my fault biology is all away across the building," Hope retorts, "Anyways, Pen, we still on for the sleepover?"

The three have planned to have a sleepover at Penelope's house. Her parents are away on a business trip as they often are, so the house is empty. Lizzie is very much looking forward to it.

"Of course we are. I'll pick you two up around 3. Sound good?" Penelope nods before biting into her peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

"Yes. I'll bring snacks," Lizzie replies. 

"It's a plan then," Penelope grins.

******

That Saturday, Lizzie awakes early, too excited to sleep in like she usually does. After a breakfast of cereal and yogurt, she packs her light pink duffle bag with clothes, toiletries, a sleeping bag, and a pillow as well as her childhood stuffed animal, a baby blue dolphin dubbed "Orlando" after she got him while visiting Sea World at age three. 

Once packed, Lizzie dressed in some skinny jeans and a white off the shoulder shirt that hugs her curves just right. Grabbing her wallet, she walks to the local 7-11 to buy the snacks. She decides on some Cool Ranch Doritos, BBQ Lays, and a bottle of Cherry Coke. Lizzie pays for the items and heads home, stopping briefly at Subway for a lunch of a BLT sandwich and some regular Lays.

The blonde decides to watch some television as she waits for three o'clock to arrive eagerly. There is soon a knock on the door. She grabs her duffle bag and the bag with the snacks in them and opens the door. She smiles as she sees Penelope standing there.

"Hey Liz. You ready to go?" Penelope greets.

"Yep," Lizzie nods.

"Alright. Let's go then!" Penelope replies, reaching for the bags, "Let me carry those."

Lizzie blushes and locks the door before the pair head to Penelope's car.  Hope is already sitting in the passenger seat. She grins at the blonde and Lizzie smiles back, a blush creeping across her cheeks once more. Penelope puts Lizzie's stuff in the trunk and opens the door to the backseat for her. Lizzie slides in and once Penelope takes her place in the driver's seat once more, they head off.

Once they arrive and enter Penelope's place, they are greeted by a fluffy looking brown dog with bright green eyes wearing a navy blue collar with little white bones all over it. He barks happily at them, licking Penelope's hand. She smiles down at him as she pets his head.

"Who's this?" Lizzie asks, letting the dog sniff her, "I didn't know you had a dog."

"That's Boscoe. He's a four year old German Shepard/poodle mix I adopted about sixth months ago after his past owners moved overseas," Penelope replies.

"He's adorable," Lizzie coos.

"Yeah, he's a teddy bear," Hope agrees, having known the dog since the day he came to live with Penelope. 

He follows the girls to Penelope's room where they all sit on the various cushions placed down on the floor

He follows the girls to Penelope's room where they all sit on the various cushions placed down on the floor. Boscoe lays down near Lizzie and Hope, his tail wagging happily as the blonde reaches over to stroke his head. Penelope smiles at that, happy to see her dog so comfortably  with her friends. He's such a good dog.

Later that night, after snacks, movies, and just general chit chat, Hope and Penelope drift off with smiles on their faces. Both have realized however that their feelings for each other as well as for Lizzie are more than platonic, which does scare them a bit. Lizzie remains awake, watching her friends and Boscoe, of course, sleep. The blonde has also come to notice that her feelings for the two other girls are romantic ones, and vows that she will work up the courage to tell them at some point, hopefully soon. With that, she drifts off to sleep, Boscoe snoring beside her.

******

That very Monday, the three are gathered at Hope's place after school. Lizzie has decided to tell the pair how she feels about them, and is very nervous. As she finishes her final math problem, she breaks the silence.

"Hey, I need to tell the two of you something," She admits, fidgeting nervously with her pencil.

"What is it, Liz?" Hope questions as she puts aside her laptop.

"I, uh... I like you both. As more than friends. I get it if you don't feel the same, and I don't want to ruin things, I just figured I'd..." Lizzie starts, but is interrupted when Penelope kisses her suddenly.

The blonde is startled at first, but soon relaxes into the kiss. Penelope's lips are soft and taste faintly of cherry chapstick. Penelope pulls away after a moment with a slight pop.

"You were rambling," Penelope shrugs, "And I feel the same way. Hope?" 

"I do too. Pen, I've had a crush on you since we were kids, and Lizzie, I have one on you as well," Hope replies, "Now that that's established, can I take you two out on a date?" 

Their reply is to kiss her. Lizzie kisses her first, followed by Penelope. Penelope's heart is racing as she leans in and kisses her long time best friend. As their lips move together softly, however, her worries fade away. Lizzie watches them kiss with a smile on her face, glad she found the courage to confess and very much looking forward to their date.