Chapter 10: History

The children rushed out to greet you as you approached the Leaf House. You could hear them clamoring inside. Some of them were crying as they crowded and hugged you. You ignored the pain in your side as they hugged your waist. 

"You're back, [F/N]!" a little girl gushed. 

"Hey, where's Biggs?" one of the others asked. He was hugging your waist and looking up at you. You ruffled his hair.

"He really wanted to come see you all, but he was busy today," you explained. It was partially a lie. It wasn't that Biggs didn't miss them, you both just knew he needed to conserve his energy. You didn't plan on going on the next mission with him, so you didn't prioritize R&R like he did, even though you were the wounded one. 

Ms. Folia walked out behind them, waving with a warm smile. A young lady carrying a flower basket came out behind her. "[F/N]," she smiled. 

"Ms. Folia," you replied with a nod. "How are you?"

"All right," she said. 

"Who's this with you?" You knew you saw her around before when you lived in Sector 5. 

Ms. Folia looked at the girl behind her, who waved at you with a friendly smile. 
"I'm Aerith," she said. "I bring flowers here every so often," she explained, holding up the flower basket. 

"I see," you nodded. "Nice to meet you... Aerith." As her name rolled off your tongue, it came off with a strange familiarity. It sounded similar to a name that had been thrown around with the Turks. You didn't know if it really was, though, or just sounded similar. "I'm [F/N]," you responded finally. She nodded as if she knew that, but said nothing of it. 

"So, you used to work here? With the guy before Ms. Folia?" she asked. 

"Yeah!" one of the kids chimed in. "Biggs!"

"I see," Aerith said, looking down at him with a smile. She then looked back at you. "Why'd you guys leave?"

"Oh, it's a long story," you said. You two never told anyone why you left. You couldn't even come up with a good enough excuse. 

"I've got time," Aerith said. "I'm done delivering for the day."

"Over dinner then," you said. "Before I leave for Sector 7 tonight. Just because I wanna spend time with the kids first. Is that all right with you, Ms. Folia?" You asked. "We'll help you out."

"Of course," Ms. Folia said, "but why are you leaving so soon?"

"I have work to do tomorrow," you told her. "Really I hadn't planned on coming today, but I was free and I hadn't dropped by in a while. I'm sure Biggs would have came along if I would've planned ahead." 

"That's fine," Ms. Folia said. "We're glad you at least dropped by. The kids collected some things for you, if you wanna go take a look."

"Oh yeah!" a girl piped up and grabbed your hand. "Come look! Come look!" The kids guided you to the bedroom, Aerith trailing behind all of you. There was so much in the filing cabinet that a couple drawers were stuck open and some things needed to be kept on top. 

"My gosh..." you exclaimed. You fanned at your eyes as you began tearing up. "You're all so thoughtful."

"We got stuff for Ms. Folia, too! Just like you said," a boy added triumphantly. It made you wonder how these sweethearts ended up with a lousy life in an orphanage. Parents dying or being unfit to take care of them was one thing, but somehow the universe landed so many wonderful souls in one of the most unfortunate livelihoods.

You sat on the floor and went through all the new things that had turned up, conversing with them. This went on for at least an hour or two. After that, you would go on to drawing or playing hide-and-seek. 

Eventually, sunset came around and you were helping Ms. Folia prepare dinner. You were exhausted, but happy all the same. All day you didn't have to think about anything strenuous or stressful. It was a peaceful evening. 
After you called everyone to the meal, you joined them all outside to eat. You sat with Aerith and Ms. Folia for some adult talk while the kids talked amongst themselves.

"So, what'd you leave the Leaf House for?" Aerith asked again.

"Biggs was really the only one with a reason. I just accompanied him. I work for the Neighborhood Watch in Sector 7, though I've been laid off a couple days," you explained.

"'Laid off'?" Ms. Folia asked. "Why? Did something bad happen?"

"I got injured out on a job a couple days ago," you lied about the time interval to make it seem less dire. You lifted your shirt to show half of your torso wrapped in gauze. 

"My word!" Ms. Folia exclaimed. "How did that happen?"

"Some monsters that wandered into town," you told her. She looked shocked. You could tell Aerith didn't buy it, but she wasn't hostile about it and actually just went along with your story.