Chapter 13: Thunder

*EDITED*

Grace awoke to the echoing sound of crashing thunder rippling through the dark skies as they released droplets of water to beat harshly down upon the ground and rattled against her window. The thunder startled her into sending a scream. She was sweating and panting like she had just woken from the most monstrous dream. Then, another flash shocked the air followed closely by another clap of thunder so loud she could feel the echo of it rippling in her chest. Her hands went to her ears trying to muffle the banging as it continued. Tear pricked her eyes and rolled down her cheeks; this was the first time she has been in a storm by herself. Normally she would fall asleep or sit with her mother. But being alone seemed to make it all the more scary.

" Grace?" John called out as he pushed opened the door to her room harshly and saw her holding her head while rocking herself back and forth on her bed. The terrified look that her eyes and face held pushed John to move next to her. He sat down on the bed and placed a hand onto her shoulder lightly so as not to scare her any further. But just as he place his hand onto her shoulder, another flash and crash sounded. Grace jumped and launched herself into his arms shaking like a leaf in the harshest of winds.

" It's alright. I am here, sh sh. I am here." John whispered to her softly, calming her down with a gentle rock. Grace gripped onto his  white cotton shirt as tightly as her hands would allow her while John had his right hand keeping her head to his chest and the other around her side; moving slowly up and down her side to sooth Grace further.

" You're going to be just fine. Forget about everything and listen to me." John hummed gently to her as he held her head to his chest.

" Listen too my voice; my heart beating. Hear nothing else but me." He whispered to her as she calmed down almost instantly. The thunder cracks seemed to be moving away as they grow quieter; Grace's shivering and breathing slowed down. Her grip seemed to loosen slowly as her eyes dropped shut as exhaustion slowly began to take over her small frame. Before she knew anything, she drifted into a relaxing sleep in John's arms. John shuffled and moved her so that she was now laying back down on the bed and he pulled up the sheets to make sure she was covered away from the cold; placing a gently kiss on her forehead he turned and stood up. But he was brought to an abrupt stop as a hand wrapped around his wrist stopping him from moving any further towards the door. John turned to look to see Grace holding his wrist looking down to the sheets as if embarrassed by her actions.

" Please... don't leave me." She asked in a high pitched whispered to him with a shaky tone to it, one that made his heart sink as the fear dripped from the words she spoke. John turned and lifted the covers and lay down next to her. Grace was instantly pulling herself into his warmth as he covered them both with the blanket, John then wrapped his strong arms safely around her.

" I will never leave you, my Angel of Red." He whispered to her as they held each other and drifted off into a gentle sleep within each others arms and the rain continued to now gently tap against the glass window, lulling to them like a sweet lullaby. Grace was the first to wake the next morning, her face was looking out onto the window; which was still being gently hit by the rain that showed no signs of coming to stop. She felt strong arms wrapped around her small waist and a chest moving softly against her back. She took in a deep breath and smiled gently as she remembered last night and how John held her when she was scared.

" Good morning, my angel." John whispered to her as he kissed the back of her neck by moving her hair away from the skin, he kissed her twice more before Grace chuckled at his actions.

" Good morning." Grace whispered and rolled over on the bed having her back flush against it with John's head hovering over her own on her right side. John reached up with his right hand and held her chin as he placed a placid kiss on her lips pulling back and kissing again and again. Grace chuckled and smiled into his kissing spree.