Chapter 10: Strange Surroundings

*Edited*

The dress hung from Grace in a style she had never imagines herself in. The corset hugged her torso tightly; pushing her bust up and straightening her back. Her hands held a white cloth over her stomach at the bottom of the corset that shaped down in a 'V' as the skirt puffed out beyond the width of her shoulders. Her old boots hitting the wooden floor as she walked along the halls towards the room where John was said to be. Her ginger hair tied and swirled upon her head with a strand hanging her the right side of her cheek.

" Good mornin' Miss." A maid dipped as she walked by. Quickly arriving at the door she was said to arrive at. She placed her hand onto the handle and pushed open the door. She walked into a large room with white walls covered with paintings and plates. A long rectangular table that could fit a party sat as the centre piece. Elegant chairs lined with a fair amount of space on either of their wings. Sitting at the head of the table was John reading over some papers that were held within his hands. She closed the door softly as it clicked. Drawing johns attention; he stood too his feet putting down his papers and smiled to at her. He walked up to Grace and bowed softly.

" You seem to be fairing better this morning, my love." John asked her as she nodded softly.

" As well as I can be." She spoke softly to him as he nodded and put his hand out for her too take. Placing her hand into his, she felt that familiar warmth and tingles run through her. It was a pleasant change to her solemn mood that was hanging over her.

" I take it you brought me here after yesterday?" She asked as John pulled out a chair at the table to the left side of his chair. He moved the chair in as she sat down and gave him a small smile as a thanks. John then took his seat next to her as the maids brought in their breakfast.

" Indeed, I hope the room is to you satifactory." John asked as she nodded.

" It is, but I feel a bit out of place." Grace said looking down as she picked up the fork that could easily have cost more than her old bed.

" Why?" John asked cutting a piece of his egg and impaling it on his fork.

" I have grewn up in a home that could easily fit into the bedroom I woke up in. I am not used to be smelling of rose and lavender and find myself in such luxuries." She said as she slowly eat her breakfast. The was more on her breakfast plate than she could afford for a week.

" I completely understand, My love. But I want you too feel at home here." John told her with a smile as they continued their meal in a comfortable silence.

~~0~~0~~0~~

Little under a week has passed by and the season winter has slowly begun to settle in upon the Cotton mill town of Bellstone. Grace has slowly growing used to the luxuries of which John has insisted he bestow upon her, much to her disapproval. She had stopped wearing black from her mother's sudden departure and she now wore her old blue dress which had been mended, John had insisted that he be allowed to buy her fresh and new clothing. Grace refused saying she was happy with the two dress she had and only asked for them to be mended. John reluctantly agree, but he also managed to gain her measurement and purchase new dresses unbeknown to Grace. Along with the dresses, John had purchase a few cloaks for the on coming winter season. One of those cloaks being a deep blue floor-length cloak with white fluff around the collar and hood.

" Grace! You should be inside, you will catch a chill from this weather." John voiced to her, as he walked up behind Grace; who turned her head to him gently. John was dressed in a thick, black trench-coat with five golden buttons fastened up his stomach to just below his chest. A deep red scarf was tied and tucked down into the 'v' collar of the coat. He also had black toughened boots on, that reached to just under his knees. Along with thick, black, winter trousers; a top hat adorned his black curls in order to keep as much heat within him as possible. Grace did not doubt that he had been out on business just recently, due to the smart clothes he sported and his morning absence.