Chapter 26

"What is it? Are the times of visitor's hour changing?" Gwil asks Lucy.
The blonde shakes her head. "No, I wish it was just that. Starting tomorrow, there will be no visitor's hour anymore." Lucy says reluctantly, knowing how hard this news will be on the two boys.
Joe sits up, immediately reaching for his chest with a groan when a stinging pain rushes through his body.
Ginnie rushes over to her son. "Take it easy honey." She fluffs his pillow before gently giving his shoulders a push, to say he needs to lay back.
Joe nods, slowly laying back. "Thanks mom. Don't worry about me." He whispers when he sees the frown on her face. Then he turns to Lucy. "Why are they cancelling visitor's hour? They can't just do that, right?" He asks with wide eyes once the pain has faded. He looks at Ben in a slight panic.
When Ben sees his boyfriend panicking, he takes his hand. He doesn't know what else to do, being rather stumped by the news himself.
Lucy sighs softly. "Has anyone followed the news recently?"
The others shake their heads.
"No, not really actually." Will says.
Lucy frowns. "Well, there's this virus called Covid-19. The symptoms are about the same as they are with the flu, only heavier. But besides that, it also affects the lungs. Breathing gets harder and some people have even passed away because of it. Of course not everyone gets all the symptoms, some don't even feel they caught it. But for vulnerable people like elderly or people struggling with their health, it's quite dangerous. Since a week it has reached New York, and the infections are rising." Lucy explains, having to take a deep breath after this long explanation.
Both Ben and Joe look at her with big eyes filled with worry.
"To make sure the virus won't reach any of our patients, the hospital is going into lockdown. Visitors could bring in the virus, and you two, amongst others, are just very susceptible right now. Contracting the virus wouldn't do you any good." Lucy says as she looks at Ben and Joe.
"H-how long will it be until we can visit them again?" Ginnie asks, slightly trembling at the thought of not getting to see her son.
Will immediately pulls his wife close to him when he notices that.
Lucy shrugs. "I'm afraid it could take a while. There are no vaccines yet, so until then things will be different." She says.
John pouts as he looks from Joe to Ben. "But I'll miss them." He says before hugging Ben tightly.
The blond looks down at the little boy as he puts his arm around him.
"I know sweetie, but it's the best way to keep your brother and Ben safe." Lucy says to John. "Visitor's hour is extended for today, since it's Christmas and it'll be the last one in a while. Enjoy your Christmas. I'm sorry I couldn't bring you better news." She says before turning around with a bit of a gloomy look on her face.
"Wait, don't you want to stay for a bit? It's your Christmas too, you know." Joe says before the girl can leave the room.
Lucy hesitates for a moment. "That's very nice of you, but-" Before she can finish her sentence, her beeper makes a loud noise. "They need me. Enjoy your last visitor's hour." She sighs before leaving the room.
"Well this sucks." Joe mumbles.
Rami nods. "It really does." He says with a frown.
"I'm sure it will be fine, boys." Will says. "I mean, there's always video calling." He suggests, not wanting for the room to get too downcast.
The others nod except John, who is still cuddled up against Ben's chest. "It's not the same." He sniffles.
Ben looks at the boy with sympathy before putting his arms around him again.

After a while of chatting, Gwil suddenly gets a message. The boy lets out a loud groan.
"What's up?" Joe asks.
Gwil sighs. "I'm needed at work." He mumbles as he frowns at his phone. "Ugh I hate my job." He complains.
Ben raises his eyebrow. "Then why don't you quit?" He asks confused. Why would anyone stay at a job they hate?
Gwil shrugs. "I need the money. I don't wanna be broke when I graduate." He groans. "I'm so sorry I have to leave. And that on Christmas." He looks at the two boys with a sad look.
Both Ben and Joe smile at the tall boy. "Don't worry about it Gwil." Joe says.
Ben nods in agreement. "Yeah, it's no big deal. We don't want to be the reason you get fired." He says with a soft chuckle.
"You need a ride? Or are you gonna take the bus?" Rami asks.
Gwil smiles a little. "No, a ride would be nice actually. I don't have my bus pass on me."
Rami nods. "Okay then." He says as he grabs his car keys. "Sorry guys."
And again, Ben and Joe tell them not to worry about it. Rami and Gwil say goodbye to Joe's family before they leave.

When John sees his mom looking at her watch, he sits up a little. "Are you going to see the baby yet mom?" He asks, looking at his mom and dad.
Joe looks up. "You have an ultrasound today?" He asks full of excitement.
Both his mother and father nod. "We do. But we still have thirty minutes left." His mom says.
"Can I stay here to keep cuddling?" John asks with pleading eyes, snuggling into Ben's chest to prove his point.
His mom and dad give each other a brief look before both nodding. "Alright then." His dad says. "But we will come back to take you home after the ultrasound, you know that right?" He says, just to make sure John isn't expecting a sleepover with Ben and Joe.
The little boy starts pouting. "Okay." John says with a sad face.
When Joe suddenly sees his mother's eyes move to the stack of homework on his bedside table, he frowns. "Please, let's not talk about that burden." He groans.
Ben briefly stares at the piled textbooks and notebooks. "I still don't understand they're really giving you homework." He mumbles.
Joe stares at the pile of books. "I still have to get so much done." He mumbles.
Ginnie sits down on the edge of her son's hospital bed. "Darling, you don't have to get it done." She says to Joe.
Joe looks up at her, his eyes showing a conflicted look. "But then I won't graduate." He says, his voice barely above a whisper.
Ben takes the ginger's hand in his own. "Sweetheart, what's so bad about that? Health is much more important right now. Doing the year over doesn't change anything. It only takes one year longer until you'll graduate. One year of delay is a small sacrifice for a healthy life. You really shouldn't push yourself so hard." He says with a gentle smile.
"I couldn't agree more." Ginnie says as she smiles at Ben.
Joe lets out a soft sigh. "Okay then."

After a bit of chatting, Joe's mom and dad leave to the other ward in the hospital for the ultrasound.
As a silence fills the room, Joe watches with a smile how his little brother is cuddled up in his boyfriend's arms.
After only having eyes for John for a while, Ben finally looks up at Joe.
"Don't mind me." Joe grins, loving to see Ben and John having a moment together.
Ben lets out a soft hum, and starts to gently play with the strands of John's hair.
Joe can't help but start to wonder as he watches Ben interact with John. "Hey Ben? You ever wish you would've had siblings?" He asks.
John looks up, curious about the answer.
The blond smiles at the little boy and nods. "Yeah, sometimes." Ben says. A soft giggle escapes his lips when John snuggles into his chest again. "As a kid I really wanted someone to play with. But my parents always did their best to make sure I was never lonely. Allen was always allowed to stay over. So in a sense it felt like I had a brother." He gently lets his hand rest on John's back.
Joe hums softly. "That makes sense. If it helps, you can borrow John whenever you want. I think my parents wouldn't mind a break every now and then." He smirks.
Ben smiles widely. "That's a deal." He whispers as he looks at John. He chuckles softly when the little boy in his arms yawns before closing his eyes.
"Give it one more minute and he'll be asleep." Joe whispers with a grin.
John shakes his head into Ben's chest. "I heard that." He grumbles.
Joe puts on an apologetic face. "Sorry Johnny."
But after a minute, the boy indeed seems to be fast asleep. "Are you still up John?" Joe whispers with a grin.
But the room stays silent.
"Called it." Joe smirks.

"Isn't he hurting you?" Joe asks his boyfriend a bit worried, knowing all of John's weight is resting on top of Ben's chest.
The blond shakes his head. "No he isn't. Don't worry." He says reassuringly.
A brief silence falls.
"You know, I've been thinking...-" Joe mumbles. "I think we should tell Lucy about the fact that you're not recovering too slow. I think we can trust her, and maybe she knows a solution." He says carefully.
Ben gives him a hesitating look. "You really think so?"
Joe nods. "I do. But only if you're sure it's what you want." He quickly adds.
Ben smiles. "Okay then. I think you might be right." He whispers before intertwining their fingers.
Both boys close their eyes, feeling their tiredness grow.
"I love you." Ben mumbles.
Joe smiles sleepily. "I love you too."

____________________