CHAPTER 9: Furious

Next update will be before I go to sleep, that is around 12 am IST.

Alfresca's POV:

Happy to resolve our argument, I resumed my work.

I helped the others in the kitchen since I had completed all the work of Mr Searlus assigned to me.

I really wished I could go outside but he told me clearly that I couldn't. I sighed at that thought.

I gazed out of the kitchen window yet again only to be reminded by Arthur to get back to work.

Mr Searlus has a fiancee. It's been on my mind ever since I got to know about it.

I mean of course he can have a fiancee but who even wants to marry a Mafia leader. I mean doesn't that sound scary?

He is so scary. And handsome too. My conscience added making me groan at that thought.

Is she only with him cause he is very handsome and rich too?

To be honest, it won't take a genius to find out that he clearly doesn't love her. He seems to be completely annoyed with her. And he even went to work to ignore her because he never works on Saturdays.

Keeping everything aside. Him being a Mafia leader and all...I think...that maybe he is not that heartless.

He gave me a day off when I was on my periods. If he really was heartless he would never would have cared whether I was menstruating or not.

He--

Arthur snapped his fingers in front of my face. "You are lost again. What's wrong with you?"

Sheepishly I looked around, realising I was in the kitchen and absent-mindedly stirring the soup.

"I...um..."

Arthur placed his hand on my shoulder. "Are you okay? Why are you so distracted?"

I sighed. "Did you know Mr Searlus had a fiancee?"

An unreadable emotion crossed his face. He was silent for a moment and then spoke. "Yes. I know."

I stopped stirring the soup and said. "Oh. And do you think they are in love?"

"Alfresca. Why are you interested in all this?" He looked uncomfortable.

"I am just curious..." I muttered.

"I don't think so they are in love. I'm not sure about Ms Aurora but Mr Searlus doesn't love her." He said softly.

"Then why are they getting married?" I felt annoyed by this. I don't know why but the fact that they don't love each other yet they are getting married didn't settle well with me.

Arthur leaned against the kitchen counter still looking uncomfortable as he refused to make eye contact with me. "I don't know. And it's not our place to know either. We are here just to work."

"Yeah...but..."

"Get back to work, Alfresca." He stated sternly cutting me off.

I frowned but resumed with the work anyway as he walked away.

Why did he look nervous to talk about that topic?

Is he hiding something?

I will ask him later.

.
.
.

It was late in the afternoon when I saw Ms Aurora come out of her room. She looked around and her eyes landed on me.