CHAPTER 2: Save Me

Alfresca's POV:

I barely slept last night. The fear of them finding me kept eating me. I was becoming paranoid of every small noise. The slightest of it.

Just as I got dressed up, there was a knock on the door and it startled me completely and a small gasp left my mouth.

Did they find me?

But they wouldn't be knocking...

Someone again knocked, impatiently this time. "Ms Leonard! Open the door." It was my landlord's voice and I sighed in relief.

It's just him.

But what if they are using him as a cover and just as I open the door they burst in?

Oh my goodness.

"Ms Leonard!" He again called.

"C-coming." I shouted to him and picked up a knife from the kitchen counter in case things go side ways.

Hesitantly, I unlocked the door and opened it just a little bit, enough to talk to my landlord.

"Yes, Mr Liam?" I spoke softly.

He had a scowl as well as a terrified expression on his face. He gestured me to open the door so that he could get in. I made sure there was no one else and let him in.

"What the hell did you do?" He whispered shouted once he was inside.

"I...I...did nothing. What are you talking about?"

He folded his arms across his chest and spoke angrily. "You need to leave from here. Immediately."

"W-what?" Confused, I took a step back. "Why?"

"Picking up a fight with the Meryd gangsters and you think you can keep staying here."

Sweat formed on my forehead. "I...I don't understand."

How did he know about this?

"Stop lying, Ms Leonard." He spat. "You know very well what I am talking about?"

"But..."

"Your foolishness will get me killed. You need to leave from here."

"Mr Liam, I--"

He held up his hand telling me to shut up. "They all came here looking for you."

"You t-told them about me?" A sweat trickled down the side of my face.

He sighed. "I had no choice. But then they left as they got an important work at the last moment."

Tears welled up in my eyes and his voice turned low. "Leave before they come for you. And don't drag me into your mess. Please."

I nodded not knowing what else to do and he said. "Good. Leave as quickly as possible."

"But your rent...I don't have money to pay it..."

"I don't want the rent anymore. Just leave!" He snapped and then turned around and left slamming the door shut.

They know. They are coming for me.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

My phone started ringing yet again startling me. I picked it up from the table and saw Lucy's name flashing in the caller ID.

Composing myself, I picked it up. "Hey..."

"Where are you, Alfresca? Mrs Jackson is so pissed off with you." She spoke in a hurry.

"I...um...I told you last night I wasn't feeling well...I don't think I can come today." I lied.

She sighed. "What's wrong with you?"