CHAPTER 5: Trust

Off to sleep 😴...
You guys enjoy!

Ruslan's POV:

"Sir. What do you want me to do with them?" Geordi inquired over the call about the Meryd gangsters lurking around the mansion since yesterday. "Should I take them out?"

I leaned back in my chair. I was about to say yes but decided against it. "No. Scare them away."

"Sorry?"

"Don't kill them, Geordi. Just scare them away."

He sounded unsure but agreed anyway. "Sure, sir. As you say."

Humming, I hung up the call.

Opening my laptop, I continued with my work in silence for the next few hours.

Around one in the afternoon, I closed my laptop and went downstairs for lunch.

As I entered the kitchen, everyone became silent and lowered their eyes. Arthur stepped forward. "Sir."

"Arthur. Is the lunch ready?"

He nodded promtly. "Yes, sir. It will be served right away."

I nodded and took a seat at the table and my eyes roamed the kitchen looking for Alfresca.

I was about to question her absence when she walked in smiling to herself. Her smile vanished as her eyes fell on me sitting there and gulping, she lowered her eyes walked past the table towards Arthur.

Arthur handed her the cutlery and the plates and she set them on the table infront of me all the while avoiding looking at me.

Arthur soon served the dishes and I digged in cause I got no time to waste.

When I was finished, I got up to leave. Just as I was about to climb the stairs, my phone rang.

"Yes, Geordi?"

"Sir." He sighed. "Your mother is here."

I groaned. "Great! Bring her up. And please do tell Alfresca to bring her some snacks before she complains about it."

"Yes, sir." He replied and I hung up the call.

She had to ruin my peaceful day.

Sulking, I climbed the stairs and walked inside my office and sat down on my chair.

A minute later, Geordi knocked on the door and I grumbled. "Come in."

Geordi held the door open as my dear mother walked in, her shoulder length caramel blonde hair set in a perfect style. Her clear blue eyes glaring at me. She wore a peach colour sheath dress, a small handbag hanging over her forearm.

Her lips were pressed into a thin line as she took a seat in front of me placing her handbag on the desk.

"Ruslan." She spoke in her thick Russian accent leaning back, placing her hands in her lap.

"Mom." I acknowledged her, my body tensed, waiting for her to start complaining.

"How's the work going?" She came straight to the point.

I gave her a tight smile. "I'm doing good, mom."

Her eyes narrowed. "I'm asking about the work. Not you."

I sighed and subtly rolled my eyes. "It's good."

She wasn't satisfied with my answer. "And why weren't you answering any of my calls for the past few weeks?" She scolded.

"I was busy." I said coldly.

"Busy? Or were you ignoring me?"

I clicked my tongue. "Both maybe." I said nonchalantly.