Chapter Nine : The Viper

"I knew the witch when I was a child, training to become the prince's bodyguard. Before you ask, I wore the iron mask and armor since I was a kid."

The two sat in the far corner of the festival, speaking covertly before the railing of a crystal clear lake.

"The first time I saw her, it was when I was training to become the prince's bodyguard. I was in the courtyard, taking the random glance towards the buildings."

Her eyes narrowed, her body copying what she had done so many years ago.

"There, I saw her through the window, a foreign girl with silver hair inside of the crown prince's bedroom."

Twirling her golden hair around her finger, she gulped as she spoke.

"Back then, I had a bit of a crush on the prince so I got jealous. After training, I went straight to his bedroom to try and learn who she was, but when I got there she was gone."

"First Nico and now the prince. You must be heartbroken, both of your crushes trying to kill you."

"Shut up. Anyways, I kept looking for her all around the palace but I never could find her again, at least not until recently."

Her fist tightened, Masha's tone growing more serious as she continued.

"I can't remember why, but I found her again a few months ago. That's when she..."

"She hypnotized you and told you to remove your mask. That's when the prince found out you were a girl which led to the bridge."

"And she hypnotized me again..."

Squeezing her fist, frustration filled her, the image of the witch burned into her mind but the memories that followed erased.

All she could remember was the sound of ticking, the ever moving hands of the pocket watch engraved into her head.

Deep in the capital city of the white lotus kingdom, rebellion brewed beneath the stone paths those loyal to the king walked upon.

Fresh recruits and those inspired by both posters and word of mouth gathered at the meeting point, making their way underground to the location.

"Hujin, are the preparations complete?"

Captain Galil stood behind the scenes, the man inside of a cavernous underground building which just so happened to be filled with barrels upon barrels of alcohol.

"Yes. The sleeping pills worked well. I didn't have to dispose of the property owner."