Chapter Three : Apostate Sparrow

In a village hidden away from the world lived the sparrow clan. Their lives were simple, their only tools being the sword and the sickle, learning the art of harvesting and protecting.

In their eyes, there were no kings or peasants, only people who seek to fulfill their basic needs before enjoying their quiet lives. To them, this was true happiness.

It led towards a straightforward life, but it's simplicity was it's greatest strength. Learn from your parents, enjoy the days with your friends and eventually marry and have a family of your own.

They would repeat this cycle with little to no need for innovation or advancement, to the point of arming tradition and threatening those who looked to break this sacred cycle.

"To question tradition is to alienate oneself from one's ancestors. When one diverts from the path of their forefathers; only then do they learn true misery."

The rules were strict, so strict as to even punish a young boy who was too rebellious for his own good. One little mistake was all it took, not a hint of forgiveness even for the child.

Friends and family watched as the boy was cast out, doing nothing as they saw him vanish into the dark forests that surrounded the village, never to be seen again.

"But it's in the past now. It doesn't bother me anymore."

Yahn himself laid on the mattress bed, shuddering when he looked over to see Masha who was half asleep next to him, the story and time of night nearly putting her to sleep.

"Yahn, at first I thought you were nothing more than a swordsman hell bent on revenge, but now I see something more."

He froze when she turned, face to face as she held a saddened expression.

"You say all these cold things about how you don't care, but it's more than obvious that you do."

She sat upright before he could deny it, bringing out a small lantern which she lit.

"Yahn, have you considered going back?"

No answer. He only laid on his back, staring blankly towards the open sliding door as he watched the stars shine that dark night.

Masha knew she had to be patient with him as she spoke, his feelings as delicate as the first of winter's snowfall.

"Instead of vengeance, what about forgiveness?"

"I wish it were that simple."

She watched as he sat up, crossing his legs as he stared at the stars that rested above the mountain range. Green expanses covered as far as his eyes could see, the temple truly hidden.