Could it be I've lost too much?

--------------------
-_| Chapter 15 |_-
--------------------

CW: mentions of torture
Word count: 1100

°°°

Exhaling a sigh of relief, he looked around. He was free. He couldn't believe it. Never in his life he didn't think that he'd miss the sunlight, fresh air and wind so much.
"Dream." Y/n tugged at his sleeve, trying to get him to move. "We have to go before others find out."
"Yeah, sorry." He nodded, and Techno led the way to the Syndicate's meeting room. It was the only safe place from others for now.
"Techno, where's Phil?"
"Oh, Phil? He's with Wilbur, probably dealing with Sam." Techno revealed, without sparing them a glance. Y/n nodded, gaze focused on the path in front of them. They just hoped to not bump into someone. Especially Tommy or Tubbo. Or even worse, Quackity. "I suggest we drink the invisibility potions now."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"Dream?"

"I don't mind." He shrugged. Without wasting any more time, they removed their armours, which left them vulnerable to attacks and quickly chugged down the invisibility pots. It always felt weird to be invisible, honestly. The trio continued their way till they reached L'manburg's area. Or what's left of L'manburg. Tommy was lurking around with Tubbo and Ranboo, cursing something they couldn't quite hear. Dream eyed them, while carefully stepping on the ground so it wouldn't make noise. He was stealthy already but extra carefulness wouldn't hurt. As they walked past the three teens, their pace quickened up a little. That was until they reached the main Nether portal. Puffy was there. And Dream didn't miss the way her fluffy ears twitched at the sound of footsteps. She was quick to spin around, drawing out her sword. Damn it.

"Who's here?" She questioned, with a frown. All three froze on the spot, unable to think of something.
"It's me, Techno." Technoblade spoke up, trying to get rid of the problem.
"I know you're not alone, Techno. Who's with you?"
"Uhhh, Phil."
"Phil, speak up." Puffy demanded.
"He can't, he burnt his tongue-"
"You're terrible at lying. Now tell me what are you doing here, you're not allowed to be here. And who's with you? Or I'm going to use force." Techno let out a sigh at that.

"Listen, Puffy, let's not do this, yeah? I don't want to fight you, c'mon." And as if on cue, the indivisibly wore off, revealing the three individuals. Techno, Dream and Y/n. Puffy let out a gasp upon seeing Dream. He changed so much. More scars, longer hair and paler skin, along with duller eyes. As they made an eye contact, her sword dropped. His gaze dropped to his feet, as his shoulders slumped in shame.
"Puffy-" Y/n was about to speak up, but didn't get to finish when Dream hid behind her shoulder. He felt ashamed for his actions. It was a true humiliation. And he couldn't stand like this in front of his mother figure. Not after all the things he did. To her, and to others in general. Dream tried to shrink in himself, looking at anywhere but Puffy.

"Duckling?.." That was like a backstab to the blonde. Her voice was soft as ever, soothing, motherly. He didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve to even be near her. Now he wished he could bring that mask with himself. Because he wanted to hide those tears that welled up in the corners of his eyes. Techno just stared at the other boy, surprised to see the almighty Dream with tears in his eyes. What a surprise. It's not the sight that you see everyday. No more words were exchanged, as Puffy processed what was happening. Those scars... Of course she heard the rumours about Dream getting tortured in the prison but she never thought that it would be true. But she never got to know who actually tortured Dream. It was an unforgivable action, honestly. He was on his last life, was imprisoned and getting tortured? That's too much. What would she do now that she met him? Get him back in the prison? After these two broke him out? No. "Go." She breathed out, voice commanding.

"Puffy-"
"I said go. Or I might change my mind."
"Thank you." Y/n nodded, and motioned Techno to continue their way. Techno nodded back and quickly walked away. Y/n took a hold of Dream's hand and tugged at it, getting him to move. His head hung low in shame as he walked past Puffy. Until she gently grabbed his shoulders, making him flinch and pulled him into a hug. His breath hitched, body melting against his mother figure. Words cannot describe how he missed her embrace. Tears finally found their way down his cheeks, as he attempted to hug her, but stopped midway. He didn't deserve to hold her.
"I'm sorry." Was all that escaped his mouth, but those words were more than enough for Puffy. She hugged him tighter, basking in the feeling of finally getting to hold her adoptive son. She let him go after several moments, remembering that someone might see them.

"Go, and be safe, my little duckling." He nodded hesitantly, tearing his gaze away from hers. Y/n tugged his hand back and this time he followed the girl. Techno made no comment about what happened, as they left Puffy behind and went through the Nether portal in utter silence. Dream was quick to wipe away those few tears that stained his face and closed his eyes, getting dizzy from teleportation effect. He wasn't affected by it before but now he was, because he didn't use portals after getting imprisoned. His vision blacked out for several moments before the smell of something burning hit his nostrils and the air around him grew a lot hotter. The Nether. Sapnap's favourite biome. Dream squinted his eyes open, looking around. The surrounding structures sure changed quite a lot while he was gone. He blinked rapidly, trying to get rid of the black spots in his vision.

"Dream?" He looked down at Y/n after blinking for the final time. "You alright?"
"Yeah." He nodded weakly.
"C'mon, let's go guys." Techno instructed and they followed the Piglin hybrid deeper into the depths of the fiery biome. The bridge was more narrow in some places so they had to make sure to be more careful to not fall off and burn to death. Especially Dream. Heck, he didn't have to worry since Y/n insisted him to drink the fire resistance potion just in case. That was until they bumped into certain someone.
"Dream..."

°°°