A fever dream

--------------------
-_| Chapter 13 |_-
--------------------

CW: mentions of torture
Word count: 1215

°°°

Y/n couldn't help but wonder why he was moving in his sleep. She sat up, looking down at his sleeping figure. A deep frown ghosted his facial features and his breathing was unsteady. A nightmare? Most likely. She placed her hand on his shoulder, shaking him lightly, to wake him up.
"Dream." The h/c girl called out to him, in attempts to shake him awake. He didn't respond, nor moved. "Dream, wake up. Dream." She applied more pressure on her hand as she shook him. This time, her attempt was successful. Dream jolted up on the bed, eyes wide, panicked. His breathing uneven. She flinched at the sudden movement. "Hey- hey-" He interrupted her by wrapping her in the hug. "Dream?"

"Fuck..." He breathed out, dropping his face on the crook of her neck.
"Dream, are you alright?" She questioned, wrapping her arms around his body.
"Yeah. Just a bad dream. Sorry, I woke you up." He mumbled, voice muffled by her skin.
"No, it's alright, don't worry." He hummed in response, holding her close. "If you want, you can tell me about the nightmare."
"No, it's nothing serious, forget about it. Please."
"You sure, Dream?"
"I am."
"Okay then." She breathed out, petting his back in soothing manner. He hummed at the sensation, eyes closing in bliss. What time is it? He couldn't get to know, since there was no clock in the cell. What a shame.

°°°

"Dream?"
"Yeah, what is it?"
"How do you revive people?" Her curiousity got the best of her. He...expected this kind of question.
"Well, the...process itself is very difficult. You'll have to write down certain things and you should have the body of the one who you're trying to revive under your hand. That's all I'll say." He explained.
"Complicated."
"Yeah I know. You better not know anything about these kind of things, it's not safe." Dream exhaled, lifting his gaze at the ceiling as he threw his head back on his shoulders.
"What do you mean?"

"The reason Quackity started visiting me was to get the revival book back. But I refused to tell him anything so he started torturing me. To get the knowledge out of me since I burnt the book itself. And he gave up on that, now he's just torturing me for fun." Oh. This sick son of a-
"Why can't you just give him what he wants?"
"Y/n." He lowered his gaze to look at her. "You don't understand the sheer power of the book." Dream shook his head. "Imagine someone dies, and he's able to revive them. Imagine the power he'll be holding over the SMP. Everyone will be bowing to him. He'll be treated like a God. And of course he's going to manipulate them."
"True but-"
"Not to mention the side effects. It's too dangerous." He mumbled those words, brows twitching.
"Side effects?" He let out a sigh, shaking his head.

"The less you know the better, Y/n." Side effects of the revival book, huh? What could it possibly be? She understood that he's trying to keep her out of this, and appreciated his efforts but...
"But Dream. What do I do if you die?" His breath hitched, as he slowly dragged his gaze back to her.
"What do you-"
"You're keeping this knowledge with yourself, what will happen if you die? You won't be coming back? Am I going to lose you?" He just stared at her for several minutes before breaking into a fit of laughter. "What's so funny?"
"You- you really think that I'll die?" He choked out between his laughs. "Silly, you're not getting rid of me that easily." He added before Y/n could reply. She shook her head, looking away from the blonde boy. "Come on, I'm not gonna die. Don't worry about it." Who was he assuring? Himself or her? He smiled nevertheless, laying his head on her shoulder.

"Just be careful, alright?"
"Mhm." He hummed. Actually, he was delighted that Y/n is worried about him. It made him feel special. "Hey Y/n?" She looked up at him, expecting an answer.
"What?" He didn't say anything, instead she felt his soft lips press against hers. Her eyes widened, face flushing a beetroot red, breath hitching at the sudden kiss (surprise!) She didn't expect him to kiss her. But... not like she complained anyways. It felt nice and right. But before she could kiss him back, he quickly pulled away from the kiss, to her dismay.
"I hope, it's alright- sorry if I-" His voice was nervous, face burning as he fiddled with his shirt. She didn't let him finish and shut him up by grabbing his collar and pulling him into another kiss. It was his turn to blush profusely, taken aback. But he was more than happy to kiss her back. The butterflies erupted in his stomach at the action, as he melted against her lips. She pulled away first, pressing her forehead against his. Dream simply stared at her eyes, hand lifting to touch his own lips in awe. It was like a dream. A fever dream. They just kissed. Both still couldn't believe it.

"You're bold." She joked, staring back at his bright green eyes lovingly. She watched his flushed face, as he briefly looked away from her before making an eye contact with her once again.
"Y/n, I- I really like you, do you like-"
"Yes I do, you dummy. If I didn't, I wouldn't have kissed you." She cut him off, grinning.
"Oh thank God..." Dream breathed out, eyes closing, as he pulled her into a hug. "You don't even know how glad I am..." He murmured, caressing her hair. "I was wishing to do it for so long."
"Yeah? You could have done it earlier." She replied with a smile, nuzzling her head on his shoulder.
"I was afraid. That you won't accept me."
"Why wouldn't I?"
"I'm a criminal, Y/n. Everyone hates me-"
"Not everyone." She corrected him, making him let out a sigh.
"Most of people hate me."

"Well, I don't. I could never." She rubbed circles on his back, soothing him.
"I'm glad. I'm so glad." He breathed out, content. "So...are we like...a thing or no?"
"We- we are." She stuttered, face flooding with colour. He hummed, delighted, pressing a kiss on her cheek.
"I love you, angel." He murmured, voice soft, full of affection. Her eyes fluttered shut at his confession, a gentle smile tugging her lips, as she pressed a kiss to the side of his mouth.
"I love you too, Dreamie." He exhaled sharply at the nickname, melting into a smile. She was his, huh? He couldn't believe it, he was so scared that she'll reject him, he didn't know what he would do if she did. But thank God...there was someone who loved him after all, the one who cared about a criminal like him. It felt good to be loved once again. Too good to be true. But he was relived. The empty void in him was quickly changing into something beautiful, into something that he'd protect with the cost of his life. It was love.

°°°