Promises

Despite my confidence that not fighting back was the correct move, my heart is hammering painfully; and my energy, though apparently suppressed by the ropes, rages inside my mind and behind my belly. I'm breathing hard, hard enough that our bodies touch with every inhale. His expression is one of stone. I can't see his eyes behind their magic glow. It's some mixed color, as if his magic couldn't decide between white, blue, and green and just mashed them all together into something like the sky.

He's not breathing. I realize with a start internally. Not only did that fight not wear him down at all, but he's not breathing even normally again. What if Auroya isn't here to fix it this time? Can she still find him if something happens? They're trobahs - that means she can find him anywhere, right?

A low sound comes from Rhenyan's chest, almost like a growl.

"Even when you're on the brink of death, you're still thinking about my safety?"

That undertone in his voice is back. It always appears after or during a fight, or after he's used a lot of energy. Maybe that's the outlet for his magic - instead of heat, or light, maybe when he uses a lot of energy, it just changes his voice. I wonder if it changes him physically, or if it's just an auditory illusion?

His hands tighten around my wrists painfully. "Do you not think of yourself at all?!" He practically shouts. I wince at the sudden ringing in my ears. It's my energy, I know it is. I can't let it get out here. I can't let it control me anymore. I don't care if he's probably going to kill me anyway. I won't let this... whatever this is, control me.

From one heart beat to the next, his eyes stop glowing. They're staring into mine with such intensity I can't focus on anything else. I wonder if he's using magic to do that. He must be, if-

"Stop it, Xena."

Even though his eyes are normal, the undertone is still there. It has to be triggered by his magic to be that strong. Otherwise I-

His eyes flash something dark. Suddenly he leans forward and presses his lips to mine. My breath freezes in my chest. Bite him! Kick him! Knee him! Headbutt! Do anything!

Kiss him back.

Before I can second guess myself, I lean forward to do exactly that, but he's already backed away. That darkness flashes in his eyes again as he stares at me. When I take a breath, I realize he's breathing now too. Now? Now he's breathing? Why now?

His energy rises drastically before he blows out a big breath in an airy chuckle. Chuckle?! He chuckled?! What? His expression hasn't changed, but I'm sure his eyes aren't as intense now. What in the world is going on? Is he going to kill me or not?

His grip on my wrists slackens as he straightens. Doing so brings him to his usual 7 inches above me. Finally free of his piercing gaze, I turn my head down and to the side, squeezing my eyes closed. His energy, which still hasn't gone down, shoots out to me, crashing into me like a punch in the gut. I tense what I can, bracing for an impact that I know is going to hurt like hell. But after a moment, I realize his energy doesn't feel... hostile. I exhale. Nothing was actually hit. His energy is just... there. It's everywhere.

His hands shift so just one is holding both of mine. I struggle instinctively, knowing his loose grip and the shift of moving would be my best shot at freedom. But everything inside me freezes when his free hand drops to my shoulder, then my collarbone. His thumb briefly presses down hard on the front of my throat, sending a shock through my entire body. My energy snaps at him, but the attack disappears abruptly, before it manifests into anything physical.