Curiosity

"Did you sleep well?"

Rhenyan's voice is considerably rougher than Auroya's, though not by much. It's also not much deeper, despite his size.

"Very," I reply, staring out into the forest. There are so many things I want to ask him. So many things he might know or be able to do to help me.

"Did you get something to eat? There were leftovers in the fridge."

I shake my head. "No, but I'm starving now."

"I'll be right back."

I had started to stand when I realized I was getting hungry, but Rhenyan hops off the roof with seemingly no effort, and so much faster than I would be able to. He must have an insane amount of control over his energy to be able to manipulate it so easily and quickly.

Lots of practice. He says in my mind before immediately leaving. I can't help but smile even though I'm frustrated.

How do you do that?

Do what?

Get inside my mind without me even noticing?

His mental voice sounds amused. Lots of practice.

I roll my eyes, sure he can see me do that despite the roof between us. I hear him chuckle, and I sigh.

That's not very helpful.

He doesn't respond as he flies back up with a bowl of chicken soup. He hands it to me gently, then sits back down in Auroya's spot.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome. And it really is just a lot of practice."

"Who do you practice on? Auroya?"

"Mostly. Sometimes I like to see who's nearby and mess with them a little. I used to do it more often, but now that we're in constant contact with the council, I don't usually risk it."

The council. I hold back a shiver as a few memories come back before I can shut them out.

"You can't defeat the council?"

His laugh is humorless. "Nobody can. That's their goal. But no, not even I can. One council member sure, maybe two and possibly even 3. But I'd struggle. They're extremely powerful."

"What's the point of being a Master then, if you aren't the strongest person alive?"

"Hey hey now," he glances back at me with a grin. "I am the strongest person. I said I could take on one easily!"

"Big help that is."

He turns around, looking as if he's going to say more, but decided against it. I take a few spoonfuls of the soup.

"What's it like?"

He doesn't need me to clarify. "It's. Powerful. Very powerful. And very scary." His eyebrows scrunch at some memory. "When it first happened, I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't know what had happened. We were fighting a man who had kidnapped Auroya, and rigged my Challenge to be nearly impossible. I'd beaten it and started to fight him, but he was much stronger than I was. And then..." his eyes glow faintly with his growing emotions. "We'd escaped and were running away, toward help, when Auroya got caught in a trap of his. I don't remember what she'd called it, but essentially it's connected with her bloodstream and was taking her energy, true energies and all. I'd tried to free her but it only hurt her. She'd stopped me and told me to take her energy, all of it, so that Hale wouldn't get it."