Divided (part 5)

Jack''s mum was standing in the kitchen when she heard the news, "Richard he can't; he's just a boy!"

"We don't have a choice Doreen, you know what they'll do if we don't comply accordingly"

Doreen did know what they'd do, she knew all too well what they'd do to him. She gave up chopping the carrots by throwing the sharp bladed knife in to the sink and then tuned to face her husband, "why him? Why our son?"

"I don't know!" Richard shouted irritatedly and he shoved his hands in to the pockets of his jeans whilst he paced around the kitchen.

"He's just a boy!"

Jack was just a boy, a young boy of 11 years. What was being asked of him was nothing short of a nightmare. He'd given up on asking questions about the un-advanced's a couple of years ago and things were finally going well for the Harvey family. This would change everything, this was a ticket to hell in the making.

"How long has he got?"

The phone call came in just a week ago. Richard had come home for an hour or two before heading back to the office and had answered the phone pleasantly with no idea of what was ahead for his family; what was just around the corner.

Richard shrugged, "a few years maybe."

"Years?" Doreen couldn't believe what she was hearing, and too her son; he was so young, so innocent.

"And if we say no?"

Richard stared at his wife, eyes like marbles, "We don't say no!" He sounded so stern, this wasn't a topic they could discuss, this wasn't a decision they had to make and they'd be no discussion. Jack was going to do it. "He's a nice boy, it will be easy for him,'" Richard said shoving his hands deeper in to his pockets, "I wont have my son sent to a place like that, do you hear me? Never!"