Divided (Part two)

Daisy was sitting in her classroom listening to the teacher drone on about a school trip to the tower of London and although history excites her she was staring out of the window at the class that were having their P.E lesson in the playground. The children outside looked the same age as Daisy and they were playing a game with a ball that Daisy recognised as 'balls.' Not very imaginative for a name Daisy thought but she enjoyed the fact that the game meant you were allowed to throw gigantic inflatable balls at other children whilst trying to doge the balls that were directed at you. If the wind wasn't strong the game would stretch out for the whole hour lesson.

The children outside looked different to the children surrounding Daisy inside her little cooped up classroom. They looked shiny and alive. They were all wearing bright white trainers, some with colourful lines down the middle. Expensive shoes Daisy thought scowling at them; advanced trainers for advanced pupils. Daisy was sure that the trainers probably weren't just trainers; they probably helped them to jump even higher than her old worn pair with holes in the bottom, they probably had special magical powers.

Sharing a school with the advanced children of the world was normal in London; they all used the same classrooms (at different times), the same school equipment and even the very same coat hooks; it wasn't as if the un-advanced had infectious diseases. Lunch time was the only time of day when the pupils mixed together in the very same space, saying that the lunch hall was divided in to two large sections with tables running down either side for each of the two divisions. Even the queue for collecting lunch was divided, one queue for the advanced, another for the un-advanced.

Next to the entrance door to the lunch hall every morning there'd be a stand alone whiteboard sitting with the day's lunch menu scrawled on it in an olive coloured marker pen. Underneath the lunch menu there was a title for a separate menu, an evening menu, there was never anything written on it during the day though. This was the menu for the children who stayed at school most of the night, the advance children who never slept. Daisy assumed their meals were much too good for the likes of her to read. They probably had big chicken dinners and Easter eggs for pudding; all the things that Daisy's family could never afford. Affording things was a luxury, Daisy knew that, you earn as much as you work and Daisy's family had to sleep ... if not they'd die.