12

Besides laughing, what does one say to that? "Pffft" isn't really a word, but it captured Penelope's reaction perfectly.

"I knew you were many things, my lord Duke, but a liar was not one of them," she said with a wave of her hand. "Hm, that isn't terribly true now either. Anyway, perhaps we can speak on the weather or something."

"We have had many conversations that are appropriate, Lady Penelope. Between me having my cock inside you and my tongue, we spoke of politics and books. We were both philosophical and playful."

"Yes, I recall. I do not forget a single moment," she said as she looked down to straighten her napkin for the third time since sitting. "But please stop reminding me."

"When do you know?" He quickly changed the subject.

"Know?"

"About the child," Alex had a solemn look on his face. "My child."

"Next week," Penelope said. "Then we can stop this nonsense."

"I do not think I want to stop. I enjoy this banter far too much. I was so bored before the auction. You entertain me endlessly."

"Glad I could entertain you, but I plan to sail in two weeks."

"Come to my room tonight," the man's mercurial subject changes kept Penelope on her toes.

"If I do...will you stop this...harassment?" She was tired of pushing him away. Penelope wanted this just as badly as he did - perhaps more. By her own calculations, she only had two weeks time before she never laid eyes on him again.

"Of course, darling," he said in a manner she knew was just to get his way. He definitely was persistent.

"10:00 then?"

"Perfect. Have you been following the current arguments on the House of Lords?" And with that the subject changed once again and they appeared almost like a normal couple.

After drinks in the salon and a turn about the garden, everyone found their way to their rooms. Penelope sat on her bed and watched the clock on the mantle as it inched toward 10:00. At 9:47 the door adjoining the two rooms swung open.

"Alex?!"

"Arbitrary time..." and he walked over to where she sat and extended his hand for her to take. "Come."

They walked silently through to his room. His lips were on her's before she could speak a word. The kiss was like an unspoken testimony to how much he missed her.