Hybern

~Renae~

We winnow all the way to Summer court boarder, passing briefly through the court itself and witnessing it's beauty. I've always been a secret admirer of Summer. The Night court is obviously the my favourite, but after that, I wouldn't mind living in Summer for a while. Night is my home and my family, and nobody and nothing will live up to that- not even the sweet smell of fresh grass-coated hills and newborn lambs and chicks.

From Summer court we fly the rest of the way and I'm dumped with transporting Vassa. I've never spoken to the female before, but I have to say- quite a firecracker. She spent the entire journey questioning my entire childhood, more questions than even Nesta is comfortable asking. I didn't answer them all but it was slightly enjoyable to have someone not tip-toe around the subject for once.

If this was Montesere, I would easily be able to lead the group though the forests and streets. But the only person who would have a shot at knowing the way, is Alirra.

I would take the maze of Montesere's pine forest than the oddly-shaped and dying wooden branches of Hybern's trees. The smell isn't as intriguing as pine and the branches twist unnaturally, leaves lay at our feet and any that are still on the trees haven't been healthy for decades.

We hide in the shadows of the forest before marching into the streets, which are quieter than I thought. I've heard many rumours about the lack of people in Hybern nowadays, but I never imagined it looking like this.

"I think it's best to split up- everybody knows our faces and if we're in a large group it will just attract more attention." Rhysand begins and I don't remove my eyes from the cottages and winding streets before me- calling me. I should be thinking about Alirra and how close we are- but all that crosses my mind is the dark liquid running through the streets and the gently wafts of stench that hit us every now and then.

"I think I should go alone." I mumble before I've even registered what I've said. I gain stares form everyone but I still can't seem to remove my eyes from the streets.

"Everybody knows you all, right? They don't know me." That gains a few nods but still more disagreements, which is understandable.

"We aren't letting you walk into there all alone. Gods know what will happen..." Someone mutters from behind me.

"They don't know me either." I manage to avert my eyes for this one. Meeting the gaze of Vassa. She's gently trembling and I hope it's just the breeze through the leafless trees. Vassa used be cursed to take the form of a firebird during the day but the Archeron sisters helped break her curse decades ago. Thank the Cauldron she no longer has that burden. But she's still no Illyrian...

"Vas, no. It's too dangerous." Jurien steps closer to her, the light through the branches hits his face and accentuates the creases of age. The too of them are as close as siblings and have spent the past few decades fighting alongside one another and growing older by the second- as the fae surrounding them stay the exact same. It's admiring, really, that they never hesitate to help when needed. Lucien- too- like their third sibling in their little band.

"Azriel could hide in the shadows, for added precaution." Someone speaks up. Whether that request is supposed to convince Jurian to let Vassa go or to convince Vassa she isn't needed.

If I'm honest, her strengths aren't physical but it would be nice to have some company and not have to tremble alone through the sickening streets of Hybern. The Mother knows who's lurking in the shadows waiting for a lone female. Not that I'm afraid I can't handle it myself- but the more people the better.

"Ren, take someone-" Feyre begins, worry thickly laced in her features as her eyebrows pinch together.

"Vassa and Azriel can come." Rhysand pulls Az aside, giving him another speech or telling him any plan Bs. Probably telling him to risk anything and everything to get us back safely.

Jurian takes a stride for me just as Vassa reaches a hand to stop him. She places a hand on his cheek and promises to return safely. He pulls her into a hug and only removes her once Azriel and I step from the shadows.

I don't want to turn back around. I don't want to look at the family who've helped me get so far already- the concern no doubt  in their eyes. I can't turn around and promise everything will be ok because as much as I hope that it will, I can make no such vows.

With each step, the stench of the streets thicken and block my airways entirely. I feel the frail figure of Vassa beside me and I have no doubt that if someone were to jump out of a shop doorway and pounce for one of us, she would grab ahold of me like a sobbing youngster. Praise to her for putting herself forward for coming along with this.

Something makes me flinch, though. A scream. A cry in the distance. Either a babe that has been born into this world and isn't happy about it. Possibly a female trying to run or escape from the curse that is this place and its people. Maybe a male being hijacked and stripped of everything on his person. Whatever the noise was, it isn't the only one, I realise. We continue to walk like the people around us, unfazed from the shouts and screams of helpless people only houses and streets away from us now. These people so used to this daily commotion that they are no longer bothered by it ; that breaks my heart. If I weren't on a mission to save my mate, I would take a detour to save each and every one of them.

Most people ignore our existence but we gain a few looks from males crouched on curbs or leant against shop windows no doubt hungry for whatever they think we could provide. I almost vomit at the revolting stares, but manage to hold myself together every time.

Azriel's presence in the shadows of the shop doorways moves along with us and I want to look for him, for the comfort, but if I removes my eyes from their fixed position– on the stone slabs– I might see something I don't want to. Something disturbing that belongs with the continuous screams.

I only avert my eyes when Vassa's elbow slowly pushes further into my ribs and I follow her gaze. Her breaths leaving in shaking wisps and her hands trembling at her sides. Her glazed eyes, pupils small, are still and focused on one thing... or a thousand things.

Montesere soldiers- loads and loads of Montesere's soldiers marching back and forth, blocking the paths of so many people. I realise now that the screams are mainly from here. The soldiers taking ahold of defiant people and throwing them back to the path which they came. I curl my fingers around Vassa's wrist and pull her into the closest doorway of a closed and ancient bookshop which makes me wonder if it has even opened in decades.

Azriel is with us within moments, muscled back to the streets and I hope nobody sees us. Hybern may not know us, but Montesere certainly do. They have a certain swagger to their walk and glint in their assessing eyes that make me realise just who they're looking for. Me.

By now, I'm sure Ginerva has heard of our run-in with Iagan and the state we left him in. I doubt he knows Rhysand's Daemati powers gave us all of the information we needed, but I think they're expecting me at some point.

"Before we left, Rhysand told me Alirra is being kept in a room," Azriel mumbles in my ear, trying hard not to attract the attention of passing Hybern inhabitants or Montesere soldiers, "he couldn't find exactly where this room is apart from narrowing it down to Hybern... I'm willing to bet-"

"These soldiers are blocking the path that leads to Alirra." He nods his head before taking a peek over his soldier to see if anybody is giving us surprised and knowing glances or running to the soldiers to tell them of our arrival. These people could know who to look out for- the glances we were getting could be because I match the description Montesere gave them. What if Ginerva knows I'm already here?

"So what now?"

Don't forget to vote if you're enjoying it so far :D
Thanks for reading!