The End?

This is the final chapter everybody. I just want to thank anyone who got this far☺️

~Alirra~

Renae and I are immediately met with whistles and howls from Cassian as we enter the sitting room. The others soon join in. I perch myself on the arm of the chair Ren chooses– the rest of the seats already filled. I turn to my usual spot– which is occupied my Mireille.

"So...?" Cassian wiggles his eyebrows expectantly– no need to even ask the question.

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes, I've decided to accept the mating bond." I give him a glare that stops him from making any further remarks. The last thing I want is to make a bigger deal about this.

"Me too." Ren looks up at me and smiles– the stars dancing amongst the void and I can't help but think what it'd be like to dance with them. To know exactly what makes them so happy– what makes her so happy.

"So you weren't mates before?" Mireille questions. I almost forgot how young she is. No doubt her terrible parents never thought to teach her about this stuff.

"Yes. But we have a choice. We don't have to be together." I explain as best and simple as I can. The thought alone sends shivers down my spine, choosing not to accept the bond. Saying no to fate. Not having Renae. I know I've made the right decision, I may question it at times whether it's the bond that made me say yes with its consuming and controlling emotions, but I can't imagine not spending the rest of eternity with her.

"Did you always know you liked females?" She continues the interrogation.

"Yes." Renae doesn't hesitate. I look away from everyone briefly.

"No, but I'm thankful the Cauldron brought us together." I finally meet my mate's eyes and give her smile- ignoring the stares around us.

"What if I don't want a mate?" Mireille is the one to avoid everybody's eyes this time.

"I didn't want a mate either. It just happens unexpectedly for some people." I shrug. I don't like being the only one questioned, as if I'm supposed to know this stuff.

"No, I mean, what if I don't want to have that type of relationship with someone. What if I"m not attracted to anybody that way?" Her cheeks instantly glow red and my heart aches for her. I'm not sure I understand where she's getting at, but I wouldn't be this brave, coming out with this in front of strangers. I guess I'm happy she feels safe around us at least. That's a start.

"Mireille, you don't have to live your life with such responsibilities," I give Ren a playful nudge, "seriously, there isn't anything wrong with feeling that way, you don't need to have that type of relationship to be happy. There are many forms of a relationship and many attributes that come with each one, you just find whatever makes you feel happy."

Nobody says anything else but Mireille gives me a very grateful look with tears lining her eyes and Renae squeezes my hand as if that hit home for her too.

Not knowing my parents was probably good in the sense I never got to find out how they'd react to my female mate. Never got to experience the hate from family, as Renae has. I guess I'm rather grateful for that.

"How about we head to the streets of Velaris?" Renae looks up at me again, lowering her voice as if the others won't be able to hear.

"I have something to give you first." I pull her from the chair and give Cassian a glare to ensure there won't be any hollers and whistles after we leave.

I lead her through the many halls of the house and towards the door to my room. I'm just glad I haven't forgotten which turns to take after being away for a while.