A California Girl in Nottingham's Court Chapter Three Part One

"To put right what

Once went wrong"        From TV series theme Quantum Leap

Chapter Three--Part One

The first rule of time travel is never mess with history!  But what does every pioneer do when he sets out on the first journey?  Break the rules!  I had already done that when I told Robin and Guy who I was, so it was 'whatever happens will happen.' There were so many stories about Robin Hood.  What was one more?  If I could,  I would take Guy home with me but that was not possible.  The next best thing was to tell Robin and Guy something that was going to occur soon. 

The days passed and soon weeks had gone by as we fed the people of the villagers, robbed the nobles and caused much misery for the sheriff, but I sill hadn't told Robin and Guy about what was going to happen. It was then I realized I need some armor.

On this day, Kate was going into Locksley to see her mother, so I took the opportunity to accompany her.  She actually brightened at the prospect. "Yes, please join me."

Kate was a young and pretty blonde with large blue eyes and an attitude that could be considered irritating.   On this day, however, she was in a very pleasant mood.

We took the secret way out of the camp then walked along a well-beaten path that crossed a narrow part of the river.  Kate seemed to be warming up to me and having another female around was probably a comfort to her.  She and Robin were cozy, but sometimes girl talk was needed.  I enquired as to how she met Robin.  She told me how the old sheriff sent Guy to round up men for an army and how Guy found her brother hiding in a wagon that was leaving town.  He told the guards to take him away and to restrain Kate. Hearing this kind of stuff made me cringe because I was finding out I didn't like hearing about "evil" Guy. It was, however, a fact that that was the way he used to be.  I just had to get used to it.  Kate went on to say that she had evaded the guards and was running towards the woods when Robin grabbed her and hid her in the tall grass.

"He was so arrogant and full of himself,  as though I would swoon at the sight of him."  She smiled, remembering.  

"Although, eventually I came to love him." she said,  blushing.

"Was he not merely being gallant?" asked I.

"Oh, yes, but it seemed so contrived.  Later I realized that was his nature," she replied.,,

By this time, we had reached Locksley, and Kate took me to her mother's vender stand where she made and sold pottery.

"Mother, I would like you to meet Aylaina MacLeod.  She used to live here when Robin was a boy."  Kate was speaking quietly so not to attract attention in case Isabella's spies were about.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a man in shabby clothes watching us.  He soon walked away and I thought maybe it was nothing. Nevertheless, I intended to be careful..

"How lovely to make your acquaintance!"  Kate's mother, Rebecca, said.   She was an attractive woman, probably about ten years older than me.

"I am pleased to meet you, ma'am." I replied. " Do you know who does leather tooling?"

"Certainly, let me take you there."

We walked past several vendors' booths to a stand where a man was lacing up large pieces of leather.

"William,  this lady is in need of your service."  Rebecca spoke to a large man with a moon face.  His smile was broad, kindly and made me feel at ease.  Kate introduced me and went back with her mother to their pottery stand.

"If you please," I said, "I am in need of a coat of armor.  Could I draw you a design?"

"It will be expensive. Do you have coin?" he answered patiently " How soon do you need it?"

"Very soon."  I dropped two pieces of gold on the table.  He looked at the gold, then at me and said,  "Yes, m'Lady.  Here is some parchment.  All I have to draw with is this chunk of coal."  he said excitedly.

I told him that would do, as his wife brought me to the back of the stand to take my measurements.

"I'll need britches, too!"  I exclaimed, "To wear under my dress, of course."

"Yes, m'Lady," she said.  After I finished the drawing William told me to come back on the morrow, when he would have it ready for me.

Things were quiet at the pottery stand, and Kate joined me in looking around the market. Actually, I wanted to find the man that had watched us. I spotted him by the end of the stands, but he didn't see us or at least I didn't think he had. Rebecca motioned to Kate and she ran to help her mother out.

While making my way toward the narrow of the river I kept a careful watch.  Suddenly I heard a twig snap, and I crouched behind a tree.  The watching man passed me by, and when he had gone a distance, I started to my left too late, only to be outwitted!  There, before me were two armored men.

 One of them unsheathed his sword and told me; "The sheriff would be most interested in you."  I was cornered...but my eyes searched for a way out.

"There is no use."  He said.  "We are many."  Three more men were behind me.  One of them grabbed my arms and shackled my wrists.  I tried to resist, but it was impossible.   They had me.  Another guard threw me over his horse and sprinted away.

Unbeknownst to us, Isabella had returned.

End of Part One