A California Girl in Nottingham's Court Chapter Four

"Fools Rush in Where

Only Angels Fear to Tread"    -From poem 'An Essay on Criticism' by Alexander Pope

Chapter Four

Even after all that scolding I gave myself back in the dungeon, I was still going through with my plan to tell Robin and Guy something that might change the events that were about to take place.

Guy and I spent most of our days together. He was teaching me to use a sword. French was flowing from my tongue much easier now and it was becoming increasingly harder not to fall in love with him. I had a feeling like I'd known him all my life. As if I truly was Aylaina of this century.  

After sword practice,  we would return to camp to once again gather supplies for the suffering people of the villages. This was our daily routine and I was enjoying the pleasure and excitement I was getting from doing good deeds.  As the days ended I would fall exhausted into my bunk to sleep the sleep of one who had put in a hard days work.

The morning dawned with gray clouds, threatening to rain.  I had completely forgotten that my armor was waiting for me in Locksley, and knowing Robin would not let me go get it myself,  I asked Much,

 "Would you please go into Locksley for me?  I had some armor made several months ago by William, the leather man. I hope he still has it."

"Of course, Aylaina."  He said, happily.  "I will let Robin know what I am doing."

With that out of the way, I sat down to chat with Tuck and John.  The ground was littered with fallen leaves as autumn was slowly approaching winter.  The air was cooler and I snuggled into my cloak as Tuck and I talked about the Bible.  He was surprised I knew so much.  I told him that my 'father' had acquired a Latin Bible from a bishop when his abbey burned down.  The bishop managed to save the Bible and gave it to my 'father' as a gift, knowing he would receive a new one from Rome. This story was true,as I had read it  in our family history.  My ancestor knew Latin and taught it to his daughter so that she could read the Bible for herself.  During the Dark Ages,it was highly unusual for a lay person, let alone a girl, to have read it.

John said, "I know the Lord's Prayer and the Ten Commandments and that is good enough for me."

Turning back to Tuck, I asked,  "Doesn't God want us to forgive our enemies?"

"Yes." replied Tuck.

"Then why hasn't anyone forgiven Guy?  Have you not told them what God's word says?

"These people need time to heal." Tuck responded.  "Gisborne has done much harm to them when he worked for the old sheriff."  

Well, I couldn't argue with that, but I continued,

"What about Guy?  Have you not tried to give him comfort from God's Word?"

"Indeed, I have, but the guilt he feels is too great for him to hear anything that would ease his suffering."

From my own conversations with Guy, I knew this was true.  It would have to wait for another time.

John said, "I used to think Gisborne was pure evil.  I don't know.  Maybe a man can change." Rising to his feet, he announced,   "I must be off to Clun.  Good day to you, Aylaina."

"Good day, John." I replied.

Much returned with my armor.  I thanked him, and he said he was off to Nettlestone.

Shortly after I had arrived in this time period, John built a bunk for me under Kate's.  I went there to put on my armor coat and britches.  I laced up the front and tied the sleeves to the shoulders and elbows.  It fit to a tee, as did the britches.  Heading toward the road, I watched from behind a tree as the others hid.