Part 22 - Recovery (fluff)

Adrien's POV (months later; it's now late August)

I could feel my face pressing into my pillow, my cheek smushed against the fabric. Although the motion hurt without the painkillers, I moved my eyes over to the digital clock on my dresser. Almost seven in the morning.

I pushed myself up to sitting and rubbed my temples. I had been up since five, but I didn't even fall asleep until one. I was getting pretty sick of these restless nights, and even more sick of these headaches. My throat felt dry, so I pulled off the covers and tried to head downstairs for a glass of water.

"Adrien?" Luka called form the couch. He'd been sleeping there almost every night since summer vacation started.

"Oh, sorry, did I wake you?"

"No, no, I was already up. Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just thirsty."

"Want me to make you some tea?"

I stuck my tongue out, even though he couldn't see me in the dark. All I'd been drinking lately was turmeric tea to help reduce the inflammation in my brain, but it was disgusting.

"Nope. I'm good. I'm getting some water."

Luka got up and followed me out the door. We had both gotten used to navigating the mansion walls in the dark, since having the lights on gave normally gave me a headache.

While in the kitchen, I drank my water slowly, with one arm propped up on the counter. When I set the glass down, Luka kissed the side of my head and pulled me into a hug. I loved these moments; the spontaneous acts of kindness reminded me of why I needed to get better. I wanted a life full of love.

"Do you wanna go outside and watch the sunrise?" Luka asked.

"Sure."

We went back upstairs and stepped out onto the balcony overlooking the garden. There were two chairs and a pair of ugly sunglasses already out there from the last time we did this.

Luka held my hand as we watched the sun come into view, and I was just happy that he was here.

"I'm sorry you had to spend summer vacation with me instead of doing fun things with everyone else," I said.

He looked at me. "You know I didn't have to."

"Yeah, but you did. And you're missing out on stuff."

He ruffled my hair. "I'd much rather be spending time with a loved one."

"I—wha? You love me?"

He twisted his lip and nodded. 

I kissed him gently, putting my hand on his neck. "I love you too."

Even though I was in pain most of the time and isolated from the rest of my friends, these last few months had been amazing.

"Speaking of loved ones " Luka started. "I promised my mom that I'd have lunch with her and Juleka today. Wanna come?"

"Uh... sure. Do they know you're...?"

"Adrien, we've been dating since May. Of course they know."

I laughed. "We should go back inside before Nathalie gets on my case," I said. She has been very strict about following concussion protocol.

"Yeah. You should probably try to go back to sleep."

My room wasn't too far from the balcony. I sat on my bed, not bothering to get under the covers.

"You don't have to go back to the couch; the bed is more comfortable," I said. "Do you want to lie down with me for a bit?"

"You sure?"

I nodded.

He smiled and sat beside me. We both shifted into a lying position, and although I wanted to move closer, I stayed where I was, just holding his hand. I imagined cuddling him, but I wasn't sure if he wanted to so I left a small distance between us.

He flipped onto his side to look at me. "You're still wearing your sunglasses."

"Ah," I laughed, taking them off and putting them on the nightstand. "That's why the room's still so dark."

"You've gotten really used to wearing them, huh?"

I turned onto my side as well so we could face each other. My hands were now in front of my chest, but Luka pulled one of them away so he could intertwine his fingers with mine. We were close enough that our foreheads could touch, which felt like a hug. I closed my eyes, and willed this loving warmth to guide me into sleep.