Zhongli Oneshot

Additional TW: blackmailing

'A pair of high-quality Cor Lapis hairpins, two Golden Crabs, an expensive perfume with Glaze Lilies

'A pair of high-quality Cor Lapis hairpins, two Golden Crabs, an expensive perfume with Glaze Lilies... Mr. Zhongli, for what in the world do you need all these items?', holding up the bill Zhongli brought home the despair in your eyes is clearly visible.

For quite a long time now you are working as the Geo Archon's assistant. No matter how often he purchases valuable things to ridiculous prizes, he never fixes his money spending problems. He even buys you presents even though you told him a thousand times that you don't want any.

'It would have been a pity not to buy all these items. The ones who made them put much effort in them and their craftsmanship was clearly visible.'

You sigh frustrated. 'That's not the point. You don't have unlimited Mora. In the end I have to ask Childe if he can lend you some Mora again. If he ever comes to get back all the money he gave us I'll probably have to enslave myself...'

'I'll make sure that that won't happen.'

'But- Why am I even trying to argue with you? Not like I am in the position to criticize anyways. Lets just change the subject. What are you up to today?'

'I have to help that child with a customer's family having so extravagant wishes that she needs my knowledge to get everything prepared. After that I wanted to ask if you want to drink some tea with me.', Zhongli answers with his calm voice.

'Sure, as you wish.'

'Then shall we go (Y/N)?'

Time passes by and it turns out that Hu Tao's problems concerning the requirements for the burial aren't without reason. The family of the old lady who passed want her to be buried with a certain type of liquor that is so rare in Liyue that people barely even know its name since the ingredients are all from Inazuma.

Having everything gathered, you and the Archon are finally free to go after 7 hours of asking various merchants if they have Naku Weed in stock.

'To which tea house are we going? The one you usually prefer is in the exact opposite direction.'

'To one that opened up recently. As far as I have heard it is rather simple and quiet. The prizes should be to your liking too.', Zhongli reassures you.

'At least something...'

The brown-haired man stops. 'Here we are. This is the place.'

'It really looks... affordable.'

Both of you enter the small building and take seats next to a window. 'Two cups of green tea please.

One of the staff members brings you the order a few minutes later to your table. You take a sip. 'I am amazed, the tea isn't as crappy as the house itself looks like. It even tastes good.'

'From your expression I can guess that you like it?'

You simply nod.

'I am glad to hear that. How about we go to Guili Plains for a stroll tomorrow? We haven't been there for a long time now.'

'Tomorrow..? I don't think that will work. I agreed to a dinner with Childe, so maybe the day after that?', you look nervously away.

His golden eyes seem to pierce through your soul. 'A dinner with him? Why would you even consider that?'

'Well, he is the main source of Mora to stabilize your expenses... To ask only for a friendly dinner is more than generous, you know.'

'No.'

'No? But the mon-'

'I said no. This is an order (Y/N). You won't ask him for money either ever again. Tomorrow we are going to Guili Plains.'

Biting on your lip you look down. 'Understood.'

Zhongli notices your discomfort and softens his gaze. 'I am sorry for my harshness, but you do have to follow our contract. You have to be at my side all the time and follow my orders without question. In return you receive a stable life, protection and mercy concerning your past. You do remember, right?'

'Yes of course Mr. Zhongli.'

'How could I forget that you are essentially blackmailing me.'

Ever since the Archon captured you after a failed assassination attempt your only way to survive was to agree with his freedom-restricting contract.

At first you couldn't understand why he would let you live after you tried to end his life, but when the months went by you understood that to accompany an Archon isn't all that easy.

Having to minimize the negative effects of Zhongli's bad decisions would be enough by itself, but no, the favored god meant the stay-at-my-side-all-the-time part rather literally which lead to you to become deprived of attention that isn't Zhongli. No friends, no personal free time no nothing. Just you and him.

While you are suffering under this type of relationship, the God of Contacts is very little aware of that. He merely enjoys your company.

'(Y/N), are you ready to go?', his gentle voice interrupts your thoughts.

'Yes, of course.'

You follow him outside and head towards the place you have to call home.

On your way you encounter a certain Harbinger. 'Mr. Zhongli, (Y/N), nice to see the two of you! How is it going? Still having enough Mora? (Y/N), you didn't forget our plans for tomorrow, right?'

Looking away you start mumbling. 'No, not at all, but because of work I can't make it. The day after that is also bad. Most likely we have to cancel our plans all together. I am sorry. Really, really sorry.'

'Aww, is your boss demanding again? Maybe you should ask for a vacation. -'

'That's not going to happen. (Y/N) is a valuable assistant and friend to me. Now, if you could excuse us, we have somewhere to go to.', Zhongli cuts the conversation short and continues to walk, waiting for you to follow him.

Childe is left alone with his confusion. '...Alright..?'

Another person gives up to befriend you, like always. Life doesn't change anymore. It is like a prison of bedrock, chaining you to the Geo Archon. Any regrets concerning your past-actions are useless. It's only you and Zhongli for the rest of your life.

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!