Xiao Oneshot

I am happy that people are still reading this up until this point. Thank you!

Additional TW: blood, murder, death, loss of freedom

Orange leaves fall in front of you like a calm rain. You reach out for one of them, only for it to fall through your hand.

Even if you are like this for a long time now, you still try to do the things you used to do while you were alive. Petting cats, eating, feeling the grass tickle your feet - all things you can merely dream of now.

'Good morning (Y/N).', Xiao greets you and picks up one of the fallen leaves.

'Open up your hands.' You follow his command-like request and he drops the leaf into your hands. By using his anemo vision he creates the temporary illusion that you are actually able to hold it.

'...Thank you.' You remove your hands and the little leaf rejoins the other ones on the ground.

As Xiao goes inside you do too. While the male eats his breakfast, the only thing audible is the sound of a spoon scraping a bowl.

This silence has become a daily occurance, not only during the morning, but through the whole day. Over the entire time you spend as a ghost, you became quite distant towards everyone, and Xiao on the other hand didn't change that much, the only thing differnt about him being the way he acts towards you.

Even if he can't understand why, he does understand that the kind but unecessary gestures are beneficial for your overal state of mind.

About the silent part: He does love hearing your voice but the most important thing for him is your presence, so he does not complain. Besides, it's not like he could force you to talk anyway.

Your mind drifts off as you stare out of the window. Sometimes you wonder how the relationship between you and the Adepti would have been if you didn't die that way and/or so early.

The other times you either regret passivly encouraging Xiao's protective nature and psychological dependace on you, or you regret meeting Xiao altogether.

Suddenly, the male steps between you and the window, blocking your vision. 'You're too deep in your thoughts agian. To repeat myself: I am going to fullfill my duties as an Adepti. Please wait for me here until I return home, alright (Y/N)?'

You nod. The dark-haired male bends down and kisses your forehead as far as it possible with a ghost. His face during this remains neutral.

He leaves and you are left alone again with yourself and your thoughts. At the very beginning you were able to follow your former friend around as you pleased but this freedom was quickly taken away as Xiao didn't want you to occasionaly see his brutal side and as there always was that little ping of pain when he saw how you interacted with other people beside him.

To put it short - after some incidents and discussions he bound your existance to a little hut he built in the mountains, caging you like a precious bird.

With incidents I mean things like crossing paths with a hostile exorcist or tying to leave Xiao for good.

The first option resulted in a bloody mess and the later one had its limitations as you would cease to exist without the Yaksha, hence the reason why running away complety is impossible.

A fateful day during the Archon War costed your life due to the fact that Xiao was not around you.

After the male found your lifeless body he broke down and his soul filled itself with the bitterness of regret for not being able to protect you.

This bitterness caused him to do everything in his might to get you back in one way or another and as it is visible, he did succeed.

Event hough there is barely anything left of the friendship he and you once had, trapping you in the mortal world is one of the few things he does not regret.

Your recall of the pain of the past is interrupted again, but this time not by your watchdog but by something like an earthquake.

Another one follows.

'Explosions?'

And in fact, your guess is right. A group of Fatui is bombing their way through the mountains.

'...Will destroying this house set me free?'

After countless years passing by it is the first time for a long, long time that you feel hope bloom in your chest.

You hear how every explosion comes closer and closer. With the ring of the clock, a bomb detonates directly in front of the hut.

Closing your eyes you await the finishing blow, but it never comes. Instead, you hear people screaming.

Outside, you are greeted with a sight you saw countless times in the past but never got used to: Slaughtered corpses and a blood-soaked ground.

In the middle of the chaos stands the man responsible for your never-ending suffering.

He notices you and rushes toward you. '(Y/N)! You're still here. Thank you, thank you, thank you thank you thankyouthankyou...'

The rest becomes inaudible mumbling while he kneels in front of you.

Another hope shattered. Another incident that couldn't set you free. No matter how close other people are to freeing you, Xiao somehow always manages to 'save' you.

You close your eyes and pray for nothing at all.

'Why does the world always want to tear us apart? But no matter what, I will do my best so that that one tragedy won't happen ever again. How am I supposed to live without the fuel that keeps me going, my painkiller?'

Is it a good or a bad thing that, while taking fotos for a group project, many people comment on how good I am at playing the person, who is done with their life/pained, even though I am not even trying?

Also, I started a new Yandere Genshin Impact book, so feel free to check out~

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy~