one.

when i'm swallowed down.

for alli

***

word bank: mutual pining, angst, heartbreak, faking dating to real dating, best friends to not friends to friends again to lovers pipeline, everyone else knows they're in love but them but they also both are in love with each other

***

***

***

Warped Tour was exhausting. Fun, but exhausting. The Houston heat didn't make anything better and the humidity did nothing positive for her hair. Jessa McAllister, for her part, looked more like a personal assistant rather than a guest as she ran around backstage from the catering tent back to where the Waterparks bus was parked, a cardboard tray of coffees in her hand.

"There she is!" Awsten exclaimed when he noticed her, his eyes bright as he took her in.

Her blonde hair was an absolute mess and her face was flushed probably from the heat and how fast she rushed across the grounds to get back into the air conditioning. Awsten's whole body lit up like fireworks were exploding inside of him when Jessa took the seat next to him on the couch after passing out the coffees to their friends. She smiled at him and put her head down on his arm that was casually draped across the back of the couch behind her.

"Are you excited to finally play an evening show?" she asked him.

They'd been almost exclusively been playing in the heat of the day and Awsten would be lying if he said he wasn't excited to finally be playing in the evening. However, his excitement died behind his teeth, his words shriveling up on his tongue as he looked at Jessa, her eyes bright, her smile warm as she looked up at him. He completely forgot what he was going to say, getting a bit lost in the girl beside him.

What the fuck was wrong with him? This was his best friend. They went to high school together, blew off prom together to hang out with Jawn and Travis. Their families had been close for years, too. It would be too weird to have feelings for Jessa.

She was... Jessa.