opposites attract | r.a

warnings: none!
description: Reader begins their first day as a Reynholm employee in the IT department, where a certain friendly face helps them get acquainted — requested

warnings: none!description: Reader begins their first day as a Reynholm employee in the IT department, where a certain friendly face helps them get acquainted — requested

You flung your tote bag over your shoulder, clutching the straps of the bag with clammy hands. Stepping across the threshold of the entryway doors, you took in a deep breath and looked around at your new place of work. Reynholm Industries' ground floor was buzzing with people in suits scurrying to their offices, coffee in hand, wearing a look of assurance. While the pastel mint green two-piece suit you wore didn't exactly fit in amongst the typical black and white, it made you feel as though you were bringing a bit of your personality to the workplace - something that you thought should be expressed more often.

Brushing your hair out of your face, you held your head high as you walked among the flock of people to the elevators. Once inside, you quickly reached out to hit the basement level on the elevator buttons, eliciting several looks of perplexity from other people standing in the elevator.

The elevator stopped, letting you out and you walked down a short cement hallway. You finally arrived at an open door that read "I.T. Department." Upon entering, it was easy to note the heavily unorganized room housed dozens of posters on its walls, stickers on furniture, and a television set with a gaming console. It was more of a sight that you imagined a teenage boy's room to look like than a business department. You were about to pick up a little toy on a shelf when you heard a low voice coming from behind you.

"I wouldn't touch that if I were you."

You quickly swiveled your head around to find a tall, thin, and rather pale-looking man, dressed in black from head to toe. Your eyes scanned him up and down. He looked like the epitome of a goth, wearing a black shirt, trousers, and leather boots. At first, you were a bit startled by his outward appearance and the fact that he had silently approached you without your knowledge.

"It's just that it belongs to Moss and he would have a freak out if he knew one of his things were misplaced," the stranger continued.

"I- erm...I'm sorry," you straightened your posture and walked towards him, holding out a hand for him to shake as you introduced yourself. "I'm Y/N. This is my first day here."

"Nice to meet you, Y/N. I'm Richmond," he finally took your hand in his, cordially shaking it while staring into your eyes. He wore silver rings on almost every one of his fingers, giving you the impression that he was slightly intimidating. "You're our new addition, then? How has your first been so far?"

A nervous smile grew across your lips, there was no hiding the fact that you were a bit anxious about starting your new job. "It definitely has not been boring, that's for sure. You're the first person I've talked to today, actually."

His long, midnight black hair seemed to stick straight down below his shoulders, making his milky white complexion more prominent. As you stared at him, you could also tell that he was wearing a contact lens in one eye while the other was stark blue. He was no doubt different from the other people you saw in the corridor, all dressed in similar clothes. Combined, he was every bit unconventional. In a certain way, it was admirable to you that he had the courage to work here while still unapologetically expressing himself.

"Well the others haven't shown yet, and I usually come out when I know I'm alone," he pointed to a red door at the other side of the room, "but for you, I can stay around a little longer." He had a glint in his eye as he spoke, suddenly making you feel a bit more comfortable around him.

The two of you spent what time you had alone together chatting about how you got your jobs at Reynholm Industries and how your background led you to where you are now. It soon became clear to you that Richmond was an outcast in the professional world because of his goth lifestyle. In this way, you saw a bit of yourself in him - from how he dressed eccentrically to his peculiar taste in music. It was easy to relate to his feelings of straying away from what was considered to be the 'norm.' The two of you might have had more outward differences, but at the core, you shared more similarities. There was so much more to him than first impressions.

"I didn't always use to be this way," he gestured to his outfit, "but I like to think that this was always my true form and I have finally come into myself."

You nodded your head, agreeing with nearly everything he said. "I can completely relate. I feel like I found myself thanks to everything that happened to me until now."

Richmond gave you a knowing look as if the two of you had been friends for years.

You could already visualize in your head the color difference in both of your wardrobes, and the different ways each of your homes were decorated. Just sitting down and listening to his silky voice put you at a certain ease in his presence, and it wasn't long before he started to grow on you. The longer you listened to him, the more you were attracted to him. After hearing his entire back story, you only started to confirm these thoughts.

Suddenly, you heard voices and commotion from the hallway. The others had arrived back at the department and Richmond introduced you to your new co-workers, before returning back behind his red door.

"Nice meeting you, Y/N," he said as the corners of his lips formed an upward curve. It wasn't long before you began to see him in a charming light. The way he spoke, carried himself and even walked made your heart flutter. He was your complete opposite, yet you were drawn to him.

The following days at work, you continued to see Richmond as you walked into the department again, only this time around the nervous butterflies in your stomach were replaced with lovestruck ones. Each morning, you made sure to get there before your other co-workers did so that you and Richmond would have time to yourselves. Likewise, he would be there waiting for you with an extra mug of coffee with your name on it, ready to chat about whatever you wanted.

"Cradle of Filth got me through the roughest time of my life. I don't think they have a single bad song." Richmond would talk endlessly about his love for Cradle of Filth.

"Sure, but have you tried listening to any softer music before? I think it would change your world" you would plead.

"You mean like pastel grunge?"

Days turned to weeks, and weeks to months, and you and Richmond had followed your morning routine without fail. He was your reason to wake up in the morning, to put on your favorite colorful clothes, and to rush to work wearing a smile.

Eventually, as the two of you grew more personal, Richmond had fully warmed up to you. One day, he made sure to sit close to you as you talked. All caution to keep boundaries flew out the window, as Richmond could no longer contain his adoration for you. Personal space became nonexistent.

Richmond stared in your eyes just a tad longer than usual, igniting the flames in your heart. He looked at you with something you hadn't seen in the days that you knew him - a gentle smile. When he talks to anyone else, he's either frowning or has a look of gloom. But this time, it was just a small but affectionate smile.

"Would you possibly like to go out sometime," he paused and quickly added, "you know, on a date?" His face looked at you expectantly, clearly on edge waiting for your response.

Your eyes lit up at the big question, chuckling under your breath at his timidness. "I would love nothing more," you said with a huge grin, feeling your cheeks begin to heat up.

A toothy grin spread across his lips, the most you had ever seen him smile in the time that you knew him. "I hope you don't mind going out at night anyway. I much prefer it to daytime."

The two of you fell into a fit of laughter that confirmed the connection that you both had. Richmond had successfully found his way into your heart.