new beginnings | n.f

warnings: mild angst
description: when Reader is offered a dream job, she must figure out how to gently break the news to Noel — requested

warnings: mild angstdescription: when Reader is offered a dream job, she must figure out how to gently break the news to Noel — requested

"New York City....New York City," you kept repeating to yourself under your breath. The black screen of the phone that you had just hung up stared back at you menacingly. Papers with your past work experience, calendars, and notes upon notes were scattered across the tiny desk that you found yourself sitting at more frequently than usual.

It had been nearly a year since you lost your London job - the first secure job you've had in your career life. As a result, it was impossible for you to keep your flat in the city. You knew you couldn't go back to living with your parents, as not only would they overcrowd your personal life, but it would also mean reverting back to an old lifestyle that you initially craved to break out of. As for your close friends, you were afraid that you might feel like a burden to them. Weighing all of your possible options, you turned to the only person in your life that you knew you could trust your life with: your boyfriend Noel. There was always that thought in the back of your mind that you might become a burden to him after a while of living together, but he constantly reassured you that it was impossible because he "fell more in love with you with each passing day."

Moving in to his place was seamless; you brought boxes of your clothes, shoes, books, and other things you couldn't live without. The two of you shared a bedroom and practically everything together. Naturally, things had now been taken to the next level of your relationship, but to you, it just felt like living with your best friend. Every morning was spent lazily lounging around in your pajamas until Noel had to leave to his art studio, to film Bake Off or make other television appearances. Evenings were spent eating dinner that you prepared by the candlelight and talking about music and art. During the time that you were alone, with Noel at work, you would strictly search for jobs online and send out emails.

It was frustrating at times when companies would turn you down; this only gave fuel to the fire of you wanting to completely give up. The only thing that held up your spirits was hearing Noel remind you that everything happens for a reason. However, today was especially difficult to accept that to be true. After getting off of a second phone interview with a major company in New York City, they officially offered you a job with them - all relocation expenses paid. This was too good to believe, but when put on the spot, your first instinct was to accept the job. When you hung up the phone, it finally hit you that you would be losing the single most important thing in your life.

The creak of the front door opening broke you out of your thoughts, and the sound of boots clicking against the hardwood soon followed. You quickly gathered all of your notes and shoved them haphazardly in a drawer of the desk. You didn't want to tell Noel. Not now. Not yet, at least. You didn't know how and you couldn't even manage to think about what would happen after that.

"Honey, I'm home!" Noel's ludic voice rang through the flat, as his tapping footsteps continued to approach you.

"In here!" You straightened your posture and smoothed out your hair to make yourself look a bit more nonchalant.