1. Why do people keep unfollowing me?

It's common. Happens with everyone. 

Reasons why they do that:

1. You might be boring: Yep, I said that. I'm not trying to be rude, but some authors just disappear for months without a single post, don't respond to message board* messages, don't follow back, just announce hi once in a while. So yeah, if you're not active on Wattpad, people will unfollow you, because they won't waste their follow for someone who's a ghost. 

2. You might have said something wrong: Wattpad is a place where people from all parts of the world come together and write/read stories. They will have different opinions, will support different political parties, and will be from different countries. You can't post something that offends them, because they might mute your account and/or report you.

3. They've reached their following limit: From personal experience, I know that the maximum number of accounts you can follow is 1K. You might think, Wow! That's a lot! I'll never follow that many people. But trust me, as your time on Wattpad increases, you will have to follow back many people and try not to go on random follow sprees as they will do nothing beneficial for you.

4. You don't follow them back: You need to follow them back, because that way, you'll make new friends, find an interesting book, will get notifications every time they announce** something.

5. You went offline for too long: That happens, coming online back after a looooooong break, you'll find a dip in 10-15 followers. That's common. If you write "HIATUS until..." on your profile, then the chances of getting unfollowed are comparatively lower. 

How to increase followers:

1. Follow more: Don't go on follow sprees, instead, go follow active authors and read their books. Find accounts that share the same interest as yours and follow them. Like interests in Music, Art, Graphics***, Genre, etc. There's a high chance that they will follow back.

2. Read their books: The most important thing is to READ THEIR BOOKS. It's the best way to interact with them. Comment on the chapters, vote**** on their book. This will bring you into the spotlight. Give them suggestions, help them in their writing processes by POLITELY pointing out their errors. An author loves to be supported and appreciated.

3. Join communities: Wattpad has many small communities which you can join. The benefits? More friends, followers, interactions... Basically, everything you need. You can apply for different positions, like Graphic designer, Admin, Judge, Reviewer. 

4. Read their bio: By reading their bio, you get to know their likes, dislikes, pen name, cat's name (just kidding), age, gender, and whatnot. You might get to know that they're a Taylor Swift fan, or a member of the army(BTS). A bio is like a map of their personalities. You should mention your pen name and gender for the sake of the other person. Once I mistook the name Alex for that of a boy and that was plain embarrassing. 

5. Post messages on their feed: Now feed is just another term for conversations. Right under the account, you'll find three things: About, Conversations, and Following. Click on Conversations and there click on post a message. Don't use the words like sh!t or f--k because that comes under offensive comments which do not make a very good first impression. 

* Message board: another name for feed/conversations. Also called MB.
** Announce: When posting something on your own feed, if you click "Announce this to my followers", the message will appear as a notification to your followers. You can only announce three times a day.
*** Graphics: The book covers, banners, profile images, gif, aesthetics, etc.
**** Vote: The star button that keeps us authors happy!

If you like it, press the ⭐ icon. Love, Anastacia.
Coming up next
↬ Profile