chasing shadows in a grocery line (part 1)

"my winter nights are taken up by static, stressed and holiday shopping traffic"

stressed and holiday shopping traffic"

         "but i close my eyes, and i'm
somewhere else, just like magic"

♠ ♥ ♦ ♠

Taylor perused through the aisles of the grocery store. The festive aisle was nearly empty, since it was already Christmas Eve after all. She was spending it alone— her job only allowed her to fly home for new years. She just needed to buy some cat treats for her cats. A Christmas present for them, if you will. Her heart panged as she thought back to last year's Christmas. With Joe. He had given her a bracelet with an infinity symbol on it. "Us forever," he had said.

Well he certainly didn't predict that she would be ripping it off her wrist and storming out of the house into the rain after a fight. He also didn't predict that she would pack her bags the next day and leave him forever.

It had been a while since then, but Taylor's feelings still lingered like a bad perfume. She regretted that night. She regretted playing the victim, she regretted screaming at him, she regretted leaving him. To put it into other words, she missed him greatly. He was the one who made her believe in true love again, the one who painted her darkest skies a shade of golden. Like daylight.

As she was lost in her thoughts, she unconsciously walked into a different aisle and her body bumped into a stranger's. She looked up, her eyes meeting the familiar ocean blues of his. Ones that still showed his pain and hurt when he realized it was her too.

"Taylor?"

"Joe..." Taylor said his name at almost the same time he said hers.

"Um, hi." he said awkwardly, shuffling his feet. "How are you?" he said, hesitating a little.

"Good, good, I guess. I mean, I'm alone on Christmas Eve. It's not the best, y'know," she trailed off.

"You couldn't get home?" Joe frowned.

"Earliest New Year's."

"Well tell you family I said hi for me," Joe said. "How's your mother?"

"Chemo's working out, she's recovering steadily." Taylor mumbled.

"That's great."

There was an awkward silence between them before Taylor spoke up again.

"Why are you alone on Christmas Eve, miserably buying a frozen dinner?"

"Well I was going to spend Christmas with my girlfriend, but we broke up like... a few days ago. And my family went on a holiday together and I can't get there, so here we are."