IV. DISILLUSIONMENT

dis·il·lu·sion·ment/ˌdisəˈlo͞oZHənmənt/(noun) a feeling of disappointment resulting from the discovery that something is not as good as one believed it to be

dis·il·lu·sion·ment
/ˌdisəˈloZHənmənt/
(noun) a feeling of disappointment resulting from the discovery that something is not as good as one believed it to be.

-

RAP MUSIC BOOMED through the house, picture frames on the walls of Topper's living room shaking against the paint.

Mare felt the bass in her stomach, or maybe that was just the vodka.

Chanting from outside was growing louder.
"Jump! Jump! Jump!"

The Wilkins girl made her way outside, red solo cup in hand. When she followed the gaze of the crowd, she almost dropped it, feeling weak at the knees.

Topper stood on the roof of the house, holding Sarah bridal style. He was laughing, Sarah shouted at him to put her down.

"Oh my god," Anna Mary covered her mouth.

Sarah had begun to laugh, smiling at everyone who cheered for her. The Cameron girl loved attention, and there was no shortage of it for her, ever.

Anna Mary's fingertips tingled with nervousness, she curled them around her cup tightly, fumbling with her ring as she twisted it around on her other hand. Surely, he wouldn't jump.

She was wrong. Topper ran forward, letting the air catch him, and the sound of Sarah's scream was muffled as they hit the water.

Everyone screamed, praising them. A chill ran down Anna Mary's spine. She felt her heart stop beating as she reminded herself to breathe.

"Can you believe this girl right here?" Topper exclaimed, beaming with pride as he rose from the water. "The coolest chick in the OBX!"

Sarah swam to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. She smiled, making eye contact with Mare and waving.

Her heartbeat slowed, the cool breeze of the night washing over her like a calming wave. Sarah was okay, that was what mattered.

Anna Mary had spent a good few years of her life worrying about Sarah, who always seemed to get herself into dangerous situations. Before Beth Wilkins' death, her daughter was usually in those situations as well. Afterward, she'd become a lot more careful, a lot more paranoid.

On the bright side, Sarah always made it out unscathed.

She waved back, and Kelce tapped her shoulder. "Yo, Rafe's here. He's got some," The boy brought a finger to his nose, tapping it twice. "If you want any,"