Chapter 11

...in which a confession is made.

Hermione sat in her dorm that Saturday night grumbling to herself. The room was completely empty, due to the fact that her dorm mates were either downstairs socialising or in an abandoned corridor snogging some boy. She assumed that's what Lavender Brown would be doing, anyway.

The two girls had spent the remainder of the week sending each other scowls and, in Lavenders case, a few tripping jinxes. Hermione had tried extremely hard to keep her temper from snapping, but was saved by Ginny who covertly sent a Bat-bogey hex in the girls' direction. Needless to say, seeing Lavender Brown being chased by her own boogers was satisfying. Unfortunately, it was hardly enough to put Hermione in a good mood.

It seemed everywhere she went the past week, Malfoy was there annoying her. He was in the library, the corridors, he and Blaise even followed her outside onto the freezing grounds when she'd had enough of them and tried to get some peace. It was seriously irking her, and she was curious as to what he was planning.

She though back to a few days ago in the library, he'd said 'this changes everything'. But what exactly was he talking about, and what had changed? He had been odd lately. He would send her seductive looks in class that had her blushing and knocking over her ink (this only caused he and Blaise to chuckle in amusement), then in the corridors he had attempted to get her alone a few times when they passed each other. Needless to say, she had raced the other direction as fast as possible.

This 'new' Malfoy was strange, and it unnerved her. That is why on a Saturday night when she'd normally be in the library or hanging out with Neville, she was hiding in her dorm away from those pesky Slytherin boys.

She grumbled once more as she sat up. She was incredibly bored. So bored she was sure she might go crazy. She sighed at the sound of footsteps on the stairs as Lavender Brown made her way into the dorm looking rather dishevelled.

"Oh, Hermione, I thought you'd be in the library tonight." The blonde said, as she moved toward her bed, "That's usually where you spend most of your time. Nose in a book, and all."

Hermione tried to banish the temptation of hexing the girl, and instead shrugged. "I thought I'd spend a night in. Not all of us feel the need to snog random boys on Saturday nights."

Lavender narrowed her eyes slightly. "I was not snogging some random boy. I was snogging my date to the dance." She boasted proudly.

"That's nice," Hermione replied, uninterested. She turned to pick some lint off her bed trying to ignore Lavenders eyes on her. After a moment, the blonde huffed.

"Well aren't you going to ask who it is?" She asked, impatiently. Hermione merely shook her head.

"Asking would imply I care. Which I don't." She smiled sweetly at the girl before standing and gathering her things. She had a feeling the library would be relatively empty, or at least she hoped. Either way, it was better than listening to Lavender Brown.

"Well I'll tell you anyway," Lavender began, smugly, "just so you aren't disappointed when you hear every one talking about it."

Hermione grumbled at Lavenders fake concern as she lifted her book bag over her shoulder, trying to ignore the girl behind her.

"It's Wayne Hopkins." Lavender burst out after a moment, obviously realising Hermione was about to leave without commenting, "He asked me today. Didn't I tell you that you should've focused on your looks more? Maybe he would've asked you instead."

Hermione turned to find Lavender smirking at her. She felt a wave of anger wash over her, and the extreme temptation to jinx all the items in the bimbo's makeup bag so they made her look like a clown.