Chapter 8

...in which Draco has doubts.

Hermione awoke to the light shining on her face; she groaned and rolled over on her other side. She had been in the hospital wing for two days, and she was thoroughly sick of waking up with the bright sunlight blinding her every morning.

She had insisted she was alright, but Madam Pomfrey had not allowed her to leave, forcing her to stay a couple of days until she was in better health. Hermione felt fine, however, and was more concerned about how much school work she was missing out on, this didn't seem to matter to the nurse though, who was even more stubborn than Hermione.

The patient rolled over on her small hospital bed, and glanced at the clock. It was already 7am, and she could hear Madam Pomfrey in her office shuffling about. Hermione threw the sheets off, and swung her legs over the edge of the bed, determined to show the nurse that she was well enough to escape this boring place, though she probably wouldn't word it like that to her.

Madam Pomfrey bustled out of her office, with a stack of folded clothes in her grip. Hermione sighed with relief as she recognised them as her own Gryffindor robes. The nurse came to her side, and sat the stack down beside her.

"Now I know you're desperate to be discharged, but staying was for your own good," the nurse insisted, almost sounding offended that no one seemed to enjoy their stay in the Hospital Wing.

"I know," Hermione agreed enthusiastically, "I feel much better. Thank you."

The nurse sniffed haughtily. "Well, you're free to go then. I cleaned and repaired your robes for you. I'll leave you to get dressed."

With that, she pulled the curtain around Hermione's bed and left her in private to get dressed.

Ten minutes later, Hermione was ready and excited to get out of the Hospital wing and get to classes. The nurse bid her farewell and Hermione practically skipped up the staircase to the Gryffindor common room to wait for Neville.

When she entered the common room, she noticed it was practically empty, except for a few students who looked to be finishing off some last minute homework. Hermione searched the room; despite the fact she knew Neville would not be awake yet.

She was surprised however, when she met a pair of eyes that were fixed on her.

Ginny Weasley was seated in an arm chair near the fire, with a text book and parchment on her lap, looking at Hermione with unbridled interest. Hermione gave her an awkward smile, which the red-head returned, before strolling over and sitting on one of the other couches.

She picked up an abandoned Transfiguration text book off the coffee table and began to peruse it, when she felt the seat next to her dip. She looked up to see that Ginny had moved into the spot next to her.

Hermione wasn't sure why the girl had moved there, but looked over awkwardly to see that Ginny was looking back at her curiously, with her head cocked to the side. It was making Hermione increasingly uncomfortable, and she resisted the urge to shift awkwardly in her seat, instead continuing to read the book that was open in her hands, though she could barely concentrate.

After a moment, she heard Ginny sigh. "You're very pretty, do you know that?"

Hermione's eyes popped out of her head, as she turned to the red-head girl, who seemed to be casually perusing her features. Hermione didn't agree at all, but in an attempt to end the conversation and all present awkwardness, she merely said, "Oh, no, but thank you," before turning back to her book, hoping Ginny would leave it at that. She wasn't in luck, however.