Chapter 3

...in which Blaise gets revenge.

Hermione was making her way downstairs to the Great Hall for breakfast one morning, with Neville by her side chatting animatedly about his Herbology project. She always enjoyed talking to Neville about school work, he was much more intelligent than people gave him credit for, and her influence on him over the years had made him quite studious. His only problem was that he lacked confidence.

Hermione grinned as he told her of his close run in the previous night with the Devil's Snare plant he was growing in the green house, and how he'd only remembered they hated light just as it nearly suffocated him. They made it outside the Great hall, when she heard someone call her name, "Oi, Hermione!"

She looked around and saw the grinning face of Wayne Hopkins walking towards her; she also noticed the many curious stares of people who were obviously wondering why he was doing so.

Neville had stopped talking and was glancing at the Seeker curiously. Hermione had told Neville of her 'date' with Hopkins, but she was still thoroughly embarrassed at the thought of talking with Hopkins in front of him.

"Morning, Wayne," she greeted him rather apprehensively. She turned to Neville who was looking at the Seeker like he had grown two heads, "You go ahead Nev, I'll be in soon."

If she was honest, she didn't want to discuss anything in front of Neville, especially when she knew what the topic would be. That would be just too embarrassing.

Neville nodded, and with one last curious glance at Hopkins, he strolled into the hall. Hermione turned back to the grinning face in front of her.

"What can I do for you?" She asked, pretending as though she were just talking to any other student, and not one who had asked her out.

"Well, I know I asked you to Hogsmeade, and I know you said yes and everything..." Wayne began.

Hermione looked around awkwardly at the people staring at the odd pair. She looked away from their gazes and found herself distracted by the sight of the Silver Marauders walking, no, strutting, toward the Great hall from the direction of the dungeons.

"Uhuh," Hermione commented distractedly, as she vaguely heard Hopkins still talking. She wasn't really listening, however, and she had lost focus on the boy in front of her and was now watching the Silver Marauders walk down the corridor; or more specifically she was flicking her gaze between Blaise Zabini and Draco Malfoy. The latter, much to her dismay, had been a topic of her thoughts quite frequently lately, especially since the incident when they had patrolled together.

She was certain he had psychological issues, or at least that her presence was making him seem as though he did. The way he always taunted her couldn't possibly be normal behaviour, could it? She hadn't said anything to Neville about this; after all, she'd have to explain the basic theory of psychology just to get him to understand.

"Hermione? Hermione!" She turned abruptly back to Hopkins, who looked rather annoyed, and realised she hadn't heard anything he'd said.

"Huh? Sorry, what were you saying?" She asked quite distracted as the Silver Marauders approached closer.

Malfoy walked past without a single glance toward her, though she didn't expect him to acknowledge her. Weasley passed much the same; Zabini gave a small nod which she returned with a smile, and lastly, Potter, seeing who she was talking to stopped shortly, just to say, "Remember Granger, if you want a real man to show you how it's done, I'm always willing." He winked at her, and sent a smug look toward Hopkins, who glared back at him.