Mind Games

The last few weeks had been nothing but non-stop missions and lab tests. As soon as I would return to Shinra, Hojo would take me to his lab and run multiple tests. It was like I barely even had time to the breathe before I thrown into the battle field or under a microscope. The only thing that bought me any kind of relief was the fact that I was at least seeing Sephiroth more often.

Hojo had been training me to use more of my mind control. I had just recently graduated from moving small objects like pens and cups to larger objets like entire chairs and tables.

"Very good Yule. You're progressing nicely. Bring in the next test." Hojo said, one of his assistants wheeling in a man in a wheel chair. They placed the man in front of me, the assistant giving Hojo a signal.

"Now, this is the last test for today. The man in front of you has been heavily sedated, I want you to make him stand." Hojo explained, I simply staring at the man before me. I was okay with simply moving objects, but trying to control people?

"Hojo, I don't think this is such a good idea..." I said, staring to question his tests.

"I assure you everything will be fine. Now try." He said, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

I sighed some, returning my attention to the man before me. He was taking shallow breaths, but was clearly unconscious. I focused my mind on him, the man's arms beginning to twitch. He then slowly raised from the chair, taking wobbling steps as I tried hard to keep my focus.

Moving people was a lot different than moving objects. It was like there was a heavy weight resting on my head, and the longer I had control, the heavier it got. Hojo smirked, "even better than I could have imagined!" He replied, the lab assistant returning and taking the man away as I released my control on him.

"Perfect, plenty of data to continue my research. Yule, you're free to go for now. Expect to be here again soon." Hojo said, walking off to another part of the lab. I mad my way for the exit as usual, my head feeling as if it was about to split open. It always happened after I used my power for a long time.

"Head ache again?" Asked Sephiroth. He'd started waiting for me after testing days, and honestly I was grateful for it. It was nice to have someone to talk about my tests with. I hadn't told Zack or the others about my power yet, fearing it would make them see me differently.

"Yeah. But I'll be fine." I said, rubbing my temples. "So, what did you do this time?" Sephiroth asked, walking down the hall with me, "same as usual. More mind control junk...but today he had me control a person...and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it..." I told him.

"That does sound like something he would make you do." Sephiroth said, crossing his arms. I could tell just by his demeanor that he didn't quite agree with it either.

"Hey, Seph, where are Genesis and Angeal? I haven't seen them in weeks." I said, turning a corner with Sephiroth close behind. He made a face, sighing some before he spoke, "I'm not supposed to say, but since it's you...they deserted Shinra."

"Deserted Shinra? You mean they're gone?!" I said, stopping in my tracks. Sephiroth nodded, "Shinra's out looking for them, but I highly doubt they'll be found. Yule, don't say anything. It's supposed to be classified information."

"Does Zack know? He was pretty close to Angeal..." I asked him, sighing some, "Zack knows. He was actually the last one to see them before they ran off." Sephiroth explained, "a lot of first class soldiers desert eventually. Just," he said, putting his hand on my shoulder, "promise you won't run off."

I smiled some, "of course not. First class might be a total shit show sometimes, but I'd never abandon my friends." I said, putting my hand on top of his. "Friends?" Sephiroth asked, his hand slipping from under mine, "of course! You, Zack and Cloud. I'd never leave you guys. I'd miss you too much."