chapter twelve

"You look good!"
Chanyeol said looking at Y/N who was walking towards him in an emerald green satin dress.

"Oh! Thanks! ......You've never complimented me before!" She was surprised by his comment.

"Is that so? Then I'll do it often." He smiled, turning to open the door of his car.

Chanyeol looked brighter than ever. Y/N had never met this side of him before.

"Did something good happen?" She asked looking at him, humming to the song while driving.

"Hmm.. What?...No! Nothing...why?"

"You seem to be in a pretty good mood."

"Probably because I'm gonna meet my dad." He replied like it was so obvious, even though he knew that it was the dumbest reason someone can come up with.

"Mmhmm?" Y/N stared at Chanyeol "You are lying!"

"What? No! I'm not. So you don't think I love my dad? I haven't met him for months. I missed him."

"Really? But this doesn't look like that."

"Then what is it?"

"You look like a high school boy on his first date. Did someone confess to you?"

Chanyeol flickered his eyes towards Y/N from the road. He thought he got exposed for a second. But managed not to let her read him.

"Do I? " He asked, looking back to her, deeply at her eyes, this time clear enough for her to get a glimpse of his thoughts.

Y/N felt like something is boiling down her belly. She felt the flush on her cheeks but didn't bother to hide it because she was already lost in the thoughts.

"Whatever.." She shrugged and turned her head from him to look out of the window, uncertain about the response she should give.

They didn't talk much, other than some random questions and clear cut answers for that, to avoid the awkwardness that grew between them, till they reached the hotel.

                        **********

Chanyeol's father was already waiting for them at the hotel. His face lit up when he saw Chanyeol and Y/N walking towards him.

He was a man in his late fifties, with a shiny bald head and very few wrinkles on the face for a man his age. Chanyeol took after him. His nose and eyes looked like they were cloned from his father.

Chanyeol and Y/N looked like a newlywed couple for him. His smile grew brighter at the thought of them as a couple.

He stood up and hugged Chanyeol.

"How have you been?" He asked Y/N patting her shoulder.

Y/N bowed at him "I have been great! What about you?"

It felt like home for Y/N. Only then she realized how much she missed her parents. Chanyeol's father always treated her like his own daughter and she respected him as her father. That's why she loved to meet him whenever it's possible.
Chanyeol was also different today. She never felt this easy around him after their college. She felt like there is still that space for Chanyeol in her heart, unwavering.

'What if he likes you? '
Namjoon's words echoed inside her head. She could now feel the heaviness building up inside her chest. She remembered how happy she was with Namjoon a few hours back. She couldn't distinguish between the feeling she had with him and what she has now. Her thoughts started to tangle up between the two men, which she knew could cost something valuable for her to untangle.

"So, tell me! When are you gonna make this official?"
Chanyeol's father asked looking at them wiping his hands on a napkin.

"What?" Chanyeol gave a confused look.

"You two."

"What? No dad! There's nothing?" He replied blushing. It didn't look like he was actually denying what his dad meant.

Y/N was surprised by his response. She looked at him thinking he was gonna say something. Chanyeol felt her gaze on him which he ignored and started to talk about something random to his dad.

It was late when they headed back from the hotel. The silence inside the car was killing both of them.

"Why didn't you say that we are just friends when your father asked about us being official?" Y/N asked while searching for something from her bag to make it look like a casual conversation.

"Oh! I'm just done telling that to everyone. Let them assume whatever they want." He also hid the panic that ignited inside him.

"So you don't care about it?"

"I never did."

"Are you concerned?"
Chanyeol asked, after a few minutes, seeing Y/N's perplexed face.

"Hmm...No...but I thought you hated the rumors about us."

"I never said that...." He replied with his calm smile and drive looking straight.

They again fell into the silence just like before.

                     **********

Namjoon was looking at his phone for hours now. He wanted to know how the dinner went and was not happy how Chanyeol just came and snatched her away from the gallery.

He send a message to her asking if she reached on time just for starting a conversation, a few hours before, which she didn't see yet.

"Ya, can I ask her out?" Namjoon asked scratching his head to Jungkook who was laying on the couch.

"What?? " Jungkook almost jumped out of the couch with his eyes about to pop out." Who? Y/N??"

"Who else is there?"

"Oh My God! What happened? "

"I don't know. I don't like when she and Chanyeol get too close. I have feeling that if I don't make a move, I'm gonna lose this."

"Do you think she likes you?"

"I'm not sure."

"I'm not an expert in this.....Okay! Do one thing. Think about it again. And if you are sure you want this, go for it."