nine

My body was tense as we walked into Peter and Maura's house. It was raining outside, so their nice summer birthday party had turned into an indoors thing. I let Angie down and she ran to the voices in the kitchen. 

Emmett and I slid off our shoes and followed ten paces behind. Melody, the birthday girl was the first person I spotted. I wrapped her into a hug and she returned it willingly. 

"Happy birthday! Where's your brother?" She rolled her eyes as she stepped back.

"You're asking the wrong person..." I let out a breath of laughter and chuckled at her. She ran away, following the other kids away from the entrance. 

Emmett took my hand in his, it was a bit clammy. I wondered if it was actually my own. He didn't seem to notice as we made a quick round the kitchen. I hadn't seen him yet, but I was on edge. 

Ashley focused her glance behind my head just as I heard his voice.

"Jessie! You're here." I turned around, plastering a smile just as fake as his on my face. 

"Hi, Mason!" He reached for a friendly hug and stepped back quickly. He looked good, like himself.

"You must be Emmett. It's so nice to finally meet you." He shook his hand. They were both tall, Mason maybe an inch taller, but Emmett had size on him. His hand looked tan and big around Mason's. He brought his focus back to me and his eyes softened.

"Thanks for bringing Ange. I've missed her." I kept the same tight smile as Emmett tightened his fingers back in mine. He bent down to pet the dog who was suddenly at our feet. Emmett shot me a glance, trying to read my emotions. I loosened the smile and tried to give him an 'its okay' look. I noticed Ashley had left the area, leaving me to fend for myself with Mason.

"Do you need a drink?" Mason asked Emmett directly as he stood up, starting to lean back towards the kitchen.

"No, I'm good, thanks. Jessica's DD tonight." He said coolly. Mason smiled softly.

"Sure. A drink then, Jess?" I nodded maybe a little too eagerly and he walked away. My eyes widened as I faced Emmett.

"He seems nice. Normal. Not as bad as you made it sound." Cal interrupted our discussion, asking Emmett about one of his restaurants. He dropped my hand as he socialized and I walked to find Ashley, or someone. 

Of course the first person to spot me was Mason. He had a wine glass in his hand, a bit too full of chardonnay. He handed it to me as he approached.

"So I guess we should sign the papers, then." What a conversation starter.

"I think we have to actually get the papers first." I tried to lighten the conversation and took a long sip out of my glass. He actually laughed a little.

"Thats true..." He let it be silent for a second. "How will you refuse to cash my checks if they're court ordered?" He tried to be funny, knowing it would relax me.

"I don't want your money, Mason." I lowered my voice, suddenly very aware of the children's birthday party.

"It's our money. And our house. You can't just not want any of it."

"I have our car, and our dog. Maybe I'll take my half of the retirement account." 

"Your car and your dog. And your half. Don't be stubborn about this, I don't deserve your kindness." I wondered if I was making him angry by not taking the money. If this was genuinely what kept him up at night.

"I have a job. I have my own money." 

"And the Italian King of the Wheatfield restaurant industry's I guess." He mumbled just loud enough to hear and looked away inconspicuously. I raised an eyebrow and actually smiled. The snide comment was an ego boost for me. He tried to laugh but it was unsuccessful and came out sounding a little too sad. I wondered for the first time if he was sad too. If he returned the sadness I held in my heart for him.