Chapter 16: Honestly

While she clung desperately to that word, he speared a piece of green onion and held it up to her mouth. He leaned towards her with a tiny smile.

"Eat. Please," he whispered.

The corners of her lips flipped upwards before she opened her mouth to receive his sweet offering. She chewed it slowly and made a noise that seemed to indicate that she approved of its taste. So he scooped up some rice and held it up to her mouth next. Again, she accepted the bite. And couldn't help but smile at his eagerness to take care of her.

What a novel sensation.

No one had taken care of her since she'd been a tiny girl. Not even when she'd been sick had anyone attended to her this closely. Or this graciously. A sweet smile was dancing in his eyes as he gazed at her.

Next, he offered her some chicken. She found it impossible to refuse him. She allowed him to feed her several bites before she finally told him that she'd had enough.

He glanced doubtfully down at her. "Are you sure? You haven't eaten much."

"I am truly not hungry." She glanced at the glass. "I think that drink is taking up all the space in my stomach."

He sighed. And twitched his nose. "All right." Then he shoved a big bite of rice and chicken into his mouth. He sat up and leaned back against the wall while he finished the remainder of his lunch.

She watched him for a little while before her eyelids grew heavy. Finally, she gave in to their pressure and closed her eyes. He smiled faintly as he watched her resting while he chewed his food. He hoped that she could sleep. To escape from the pain.

She seemed to doze for a while. But she awoke a half hour later to find him once more lying next to her. He was watching her. An enigmatic expression cloaking his handsome features.

He frowned. "I had hoped that you would sleep the afternoon away. And escape the agony."

"It's better," she murmured softly. "The medicine, I imagine." Her eyelids fluttered shut.

"Do you want a blanket?"

"No. I'm not cold."

It was a warm day. Still, he'd thought she was shivering a few moments before. As he watched, she seemed to quake again.

"Are you all right?" he queried in concern.

"I'm trembling. But I don't know why. Muscle fatigue, perhaps?"

"You're sure you're not cold?"

She could hear the worry in his voice, and she smiled. "Dan Se. Are you hovering over me like a mother hen?" she teased him gently.

And was rewarded when he instantly blushed. Which completely fascinated her. Her eyes slid along his cheekbones for a few moments as his gaze fell away from hers.

"I'm just concerned about you. Your father beat you blue today. I..." His voice trailed off.

She studied him curiously for a few silent moments. "Dan Se, is it possible that you've been hiding from me all these years?"

His eyes careened into hers then. And she noted the look of dismay that ran across his face before his gaze left hers to seek out the blanket underneath them.

"Hiding?" he mumbled.

"Mm-hmm." Her gaze traced his bent head.

She noticed that his fingers were nervously picking at that blanket now.

"Why would I hide from you?"

"That," she inhaled sharply, "is a very good question."

Panicked, he lifted his gaze to meet hers again.

"Why did you hide from me?" she breathed as her eyes searched his intently.

He couldn't seem to hide anymore. He felt like she was stripping his soul bare. And though he hadn't been embarrassed to remove his shirt in front of her, he was quite distressed over the idea of her unveiling his heart.

He scoffed. "I wasn't hiding from you. I was simply leaving two children to play together while I..." But his imagination failed him there.

"...watched us from a short distance," she finished his sentence for him. "And you're lying to me now, Dan Se. Please...don't lie to me. I might be able to tolerate such behavior in anyone else. But not in you. I need honesty from my husband."

He lifted his eyes to caress hers again. "You do?"

"Mm-hmm."

He sighed. Facing the truth. He wasn't going to be able to hide his feelings from her anymore. Not if he ever wanted a real chance with her.

So he cleared his throat. Before he asserted, "You're asking me to tell you our story from my perspective, aren't you?"

She blinked. Then she smiled. "Our story. I like the sound of that, Dan Se."

Like she wasn't alone anymore. Like she had an ally. Finally.

She burst out, "Yes, please! Tell me our story. From the very beginning." She paused. "And no more stalling, please! I really want to see my life from your perspective."

"But why?" he queried quietly as he furrowed his brow at her.

"Because it's your perspective. And now I know that – all those years – you could see me." Then she mumbled, almost to herself alone, "It seems to me that maybe you are the first person who has ever really seen me."

"I can assure you, Mi Sook," he breathed, "I have always seen you."