Chapter 11: The Video Call

Mal and I had both been grilled when we returned back to our dorm room by Evie, but now it was back to reality

Mal and I had both been grilled when we returned back to our dorm room by Evie, but now it was back to reality. It was the day after the date and we were all in goodness class. We were taking notes from the board when Fairy Godmother walked down the aisle towards us. "Children, excuse me. Um... As you know, this Sunday is Family Day here at Auradon Prep. And because your parents can't be here due to distance, we've arranged for a special treat." She smiles at us and runs back to the monitor in front of the room. She presses the space bar and up comes a picture of our parents. We look at each other and head towards the monitor.

"I don't see anything, nor do I hear." "Press enter ?" "Can I please see a remote ? Is this thing on ?" "It's broken. I hate electronics." Mom slams down the remote and up comes us on the screen. "Oh, Evie. It's mommy. You look so beautiful. You know what they say, the poison apple doesn't fall far from the tree." "Don't you mean the weeds ?" I sigh and put a hand over my face, embarrassed of my mom. "Oh, who's the old bat ?" We widen our eyes and Mal decides to be the first one to step forward. "This is Fairy Godmother." Mom decided to play with her. "Still doing tricks with eggplants ?" Fairy Godmother takes the bait. "I turned a pumpkin into a beautiful carriage !" "You really couldn't give Cinderella till one A.M ? I mean, really. What, the hamsters had to be back on their little wheels ?" Our parents started to laugh. "They were mice. They were not... They were mice.. They were not..." "Thank you so much. Thank you." I said, trying to defuse the tension.

We step forward as Fairy Godmother leaves, still trying to justify it. "Hi, mom." "Mal... oh, and Miranda." I rolled my eyes, knowing that Mal was the favorite.  "I m..m..miss you." Jay's dad steps in. "You children are never far from our thoughts." Mom pushes them away again. "How long must mummy wait to see you ?" Mal smirks. "There's a big coronation coming up. I think probably sometime after that." "When ?" Mom pushes. "Friday, 10 am." I added into the conversation. Mom continues to push. "Are you sure I can't see you before that ? I don't know what I'll do if I don't get my hands on that magic... you, both my little nuggets that I love so much." I fought the urge to urge to roll my eyes as Mal responds, "Yes, we completely understand, mother."

The attention finally lifts off our family and turns to Carlos. "Carlos, is that a dog ?!" Dude whimpers, already knowing that lady is bad news and I can't help but smirk. Cruella picks up her stuffed dog. "Yes, yes, baby, I do understand. It would make the perfect size for earmuffs." Carlos has had enough of it as he pushes his way through to the front. "He's the perfect size for a pet. This dog loves me and I love him ! And FYI, your dog is stuffed ! So, give it a rest !" I smiled at him, proudly as both Cruella and Jafar start to fight. Jay has enough and shuts off the monitor.

Fairy Godmother walks over to us. "I'm so sorry." "Thanks for the special treat." He says for us. "Of course." We walked away and grabbed our stuff, still thinking about the meeting. "Hey, M's ?" Mal and I turn to look at Evie. Both boys stopped on the sides. "What do you think our parents are gonna do to us if we don't pull this off ?" We look at each other. Mal speaks first, "I think they will be quietly disappointed in us, but ultimately proud of us for doing our best." They look at her, hopefully. Carlos asks, "Really ?" I answered, "No, I think we are definitely goners." The weight returns to our shoulders as we head to our classes.