invasion

"Captain-" Onyx called from the main deck. "I see it," Jim said, a twinge of worry in his chest. The crew synonymously halted in their tasks at the intimidating sight, all heads turned to the alien ship's blood-scarlet sails that seemed to radiate a deadly warning.

"That's not a merchant," the helmsman noted aloud, hands frozen on the wheel. "Not Navy either. Mr. Silver, what's your verdict?" Jim spoke, mentally preparing to give orders to his men as Victoria and Anna came up the stairs from the galley with the cook, all obviously noticing the sudden change on the vessel, wondering what was happening.

"Tha' flag..." the cyborg started, mechanical eye whirring and clicking as it focused on the foreign mast. "It's familiar... and it's an old rune."

Jim's eyes turned to where Silver was looking. Like the sails, the flag was a deep red, and in black print was a bird's head... with bones assembled in an 'X' behind it. "Cap'n, the ursid said, his hand tucking under his coat to his pistol. "They ain't smugglers either. I t'ink these be pirates."

The boy's eyes narrowed. There was no sign of surrender. And that ship wasn't on trajectory for escape. "Captain," Onyx called from below. "Orders?"

Jim nodded, gaze still on the ship as he strode to the rail before looking down at the deck, cupping his hands around his mouth. "Man battle stations!" He shouted as the crew seemed to snap out of their trance. "Quickly, now!" He called as the men hurried to their posts, Onyx moving to unlock the weaponry cabin. The captain drew his looking glass and peered through it to see the enemy ship readying cannons.

"Jim, what's going on?" Victoria suddenly called from the deck, drawing away his attention.

"Vicky, take Anna and go to my office immediately-don't come out until I tell you," the man replied, tossing her the stateroom key from the top deck. "B.E.N., you too." 

"What-what do you mean?" The redhead questioned in worry, catching the item as the android hurried down the stairs to the girls. "We're under attack," Jim replied, watching as the girl's eyes widened in fear. "There's a pistol in my desk-take it and brace yourselves."

The two nodded and hurried up a flight of stairs, disappearing from the boy's view as he heard his door open and close. He barely had another moment before a sudden bang echoed, followed by the ship rocking. "They're firin-!" Silver shouted, catching his balance as some of the crew were thrown to the deck.

"Captain!" Norton called from his cannon post as smoke came from the hull. Charlie immediately dashed to the stairs followed by two other mechanics with their tools.

"Fire at will!" Jim shouted as he watched the ship ready their artillery. Norton nodded with the other cannon-men as they started their attack. 

"Pistols!" Onyx belted as remaining crew ran to retrieve their weapons. "They're comin' this way," Silver noted. "And fast!"

Sure enough, the ship was approaching; only some of the Adventurer's fires actually making contact. And even then, they didn't seem to be doing much damage. "Be ready for melee attack!" Jim called to the deck, drawing his cutlass and pistol. Men with guns began climbing the shrouds, taking perches with weapons drawn and aimed. 

Jim watched as crew from the foreign ship climbed rope swings, now within range to hop to the deck. They pushed from their vessel, descending onto the Adventurer. The boy raised his pistol, carefully taking aim as he shot at one of the cables, making contact as its bearer fell into the space between the ships with a yell. He and others in the shrouds began firing at the lines, causing more of the invaders to tumble into the Etherium, though some continued to make it to their deck.

The real fight had begun now as bangs and shouting echoed on board as the crew became quickly overwhelmed. Not many of them were trained enough for this kind of fighting and it became apparent within minutes. More and more invaders from the other ship descended onto them, the vessels not far apart now. Silver and Onyx hurried to where the inexperienced men were struggling to fight, trying to aid them. 

Jim made to follow when a tiger-like man landed on the top deck, standing from his crouch to be almost three feet taller than the captain, paws at his side. He flashed the boy a sharp-toothed grin with two gold fangs as he readied his clawed hands.

"Hello, Captain Hawkins," he purred tauntingly. "Care for a duel before we take your ship?"

The boy felt sudden apprehension at the sound of his name, eyes widening in surprise. He threw his pistol to the ground, knowing it was empty and he hadn't any extra rounds on him, let alone time to reload, lifting his sword defensively. The tiger's grin widened further as he charged forward, paw swinging downwards.

Jim ducked out of the way, swiping at the man from behind, barely missing. He backed up, grabbing a coil of chains at his feet, as the tiger leapt to the mast near them, pushing off it towards the boy, claws ready to strike. Jim swung the chain at his side for a moment, catching momentum before pulling the end upward to hit the man's jaw with a crack. He growled furiously, pulling himself from the ground, teeth bared. The boy prepared the chain again, ready for another attack when a woman's scream below deck drew away his attention for a second.

But it was a second too long as he looked back in time to see a flash of orange and black as a paw struck him in the head, knocking him to the deck. Jim's vision swum fiercely, head feeling extremely heavy as he tried to push himself off the ground, but every attempt failed, making him fall back to the wood. 

He didn't realize until then how the sounds of fighting were dying out, replaced by unfamiliar voices laughing. Jim felt his coat collar being grabbed as he was lifted to his feet, sword and chain falling out of his grip. He could feel lacerations on his arm, blood staining his jacket as well as a gash on his head. Warmth trickled down the side of his face, the same side throbbing terribly. He knew he probably had some kind of concussion from that hit.

The tiger holding him up lifted him higher until the boy's toes were only barely touching the deck, laughing. "Looks like we've won, boys!" He called down to the deck with a whoop. Jim could vaguely see much of his crew detained by others from the ship next to them and fear crept into his chest as he saw a candid pulling Anna and Victoria out to the main deck.

This was not good. Not. Good.

"Jack, take his mates and the ship reporter there... and that boy too. The captain'll be waitin' for us," the tiger shouted. Jim could hear sounds of protest before he felt his hands being bound. A sudden wave of nausea overcame him as he was tossed over the man's shoulder, trying to hold the urge to be sick as the tiger leapt to the other ship with a thud.

The boy was set roughly to his feet and pushed forward on the dark wood of the deck. Through his blurry vision, he could make out the crisp cleanliness of the vessel, along with the ornate carvings and décor upon it. Jim didn't understand what kind of pirates cared for that sort of thing, but he didn't have long to think on it as he was urged under the top deck into a dimly lit hallway. He could hear Silver, Onyx, Anna, and who he guessed to be Charlie behind them as he continued forward to a mahogany door with an engraving that matched the ship's flag.

The tiger knocked in a short rhythm before taking the gold handle, pushing it open as the captives were pushed inside.

Jim stumbled forward a few steps before the paw on his shoulder forced him to his knees, landing on a soft-patterned carpet. The same claw hooked under his chin and forced him to look upwards past a dark-wood desk to wear who was obviously the ship's captain sat elegantly in his seat.

A beak smiled malevolently at them, scarlet eyes examining the captives before him.

"Greetings. Captain Hawkins."