Sing, Sing, Sing

Jim watched his step carefully as he walked quietly with Silver up the uneven road. Littered on the streets were broken bottles, muck, trash, grime...he was glad he wore his cheaper boots. Many hands from cloaked people on the side of the walkway had made a grab for his coat, but they always were (thankfully) out of reach. Silver stopped a few times to talk to aliens on their way, their words always too quiet for Jim to hear. After about twenty minutes of walking, the cyborg leaned his head down to the boy's ear. 

"Talked ta some folks n' they recommended an Inn just up the road. It's later here than we thought and we'll be needin' a place ta stay fer the night." Jim nodded and they proceeded through the streets. As they went, only a few of the lampposts began to glow, and the ones that did were exceedingly dim. After a little more walking, Silver's pace slowed. 

"T'is must be it," the cyborg said, stopping. Jim finally looked up to see a precariously leaning building on their left, a worn and peeling sign extended from it with the words, "The Wandering Sailor's Inn," in a fading green. "Hmph," Jim said. "Fitting."

Silver checked his pocket-watch. "Apparently time here's an hour forward." Jim looked at his own watch, eyebrows raising slightly. "Wow. Would you look at that." The cyborg nodded, looking down at the boy before making his way to the door. With a creak, he opened it. 

Jim's eyes widened looking at the inside of the Inn. Despite its outward appearance, it was...decent. Better than the boy expected. Not too filthy, furniture mostly intact, somewhat lit, and plenty of people. 

When they stepped inside, a plump, mousy-looking alien came their way. "How can we help ya sirs?" The woman asked, brushing a strand of hair behind a large ear. "We'll be needin' a room fer the next couple o' nights. And a table fer two if ye don't mind," Silver said, pulling out a small pouch of gold. The lady nodded, accepting the bag as she led them to a table in the middle of the crowded room, facing a curtained stage. They took their seats as the woman took out a notepad and quill. "You boys got any luggage we can help ya with?" Silver shook his head. "Not tonight ma'am. What's fer eatin' round here?" 

She put one hand on her waist. "Tonight, the cook's prepared a squash soup with mashed lumpwells, Mr...?" The cyborg smiled. "Mr. Silver, and sounds good, miss." The woman nodded, jotting down some things on her notepad before putting in her apron pouch. "Can I interest ya two in some pints tonight?" John waved a hand. "Nah, we'll just take some purp juice if ye don't mind." The female nodded. "That all for now then?" The cyborg nodded. "T'ink so. Could I get yer name, lass?" The woman placed her quill behind her ear. "Jenny," she said, putting a hand on her waist. "T'anks, Jenny," Silver replied with a smile. She returned the gesture, turning to leave.

Jim looked around at the room. It had a high ceiling, few windows, and a stark contrast in the present patrons. Most were dressed in cheap and worn clothing, torn and ragged. The others though...were either dressed similarly to him and Silver or had on high quality fabrics, complete with hats, jackets, gloves...it was odd. The cyborg watched the boy's eyes wander the room. "Never been in a place like this, have ye?" Jim shook his head as Jenny returned with two tall mugs of purp juice. "Thanks," he said, taking his drink. He sipped it quietly, glancing around at the people near them. 

Silver took a swig of his drink before setting it down. "I'm gonna go speak wid t'e bartender. I'll be back in a tick, so don't be goin' anywhere." Jim nodded as the cyborg got up and left. The boy looked down at his jacket and fingered a fraying sleeve cuff for a minute, sighing. Just then, the lights around them dimmed greatly before a brighter light came on at Jim's left. He looked around in confusion as the patrons began to clap and applaud. Turning to where the light was coming from, he realized the stage lights were on, illuminating the wooden planks on it. He watched as the red curtains were drawn, revealing what was behind it.