Planet Ho!

The following week passed smoothly with little trouble, and for Jim, they were some of the best days he had had since leaving the Benbow Inn to start training at the academy. While he did well after that fateful voyage years ago-building a better reputation for himself and graduating with honors and becoming one of the youngest captains to boot-he had missed Silver terribly. He never forgot the cyborg's faith in him and what he could accomplish, but it wasn't the same as having the pirate around. Now living with John again, he was in a better mood and felt more confident as a leader. It showed. Onyx approached him in concern the fourth day after John's arrival; not used to seeing Jim so merry, and was pleasantly surprised when learning the reason for his contentment.

It was early morning-most of the crew weren't even awake yet. The dark side of the Etherium still lingered and the ship's lamps were still lit. Jim stepped out from his cabin and walked to the bowsprit. With the skill of an experienced sailor, he crept up its planks and perched on its point. Jim loved this time to himself. All alone in space, the wind blowing around him, the mysterious and entrancing sights of the stars...it was so serene. It was easy to see why he had always been so attracted to this way of life. He gripped a rope tied to the bow and sat, letting one leg swing under him. He closed his eyes and just breathed. It was so peaceful. He stayed there for what seemed like a half-hour before stepping down from it. There was nothing like a morning rewind. 

Jim returned to his stateroom and looked over the maps laid out on his desk. Based on B.E.N.'s predictions and weather forecasts, he anticipated arriving at their destination in a few hours, and if they were, he'd have to begin preparations. It had already been agreed that Onyx would stay back with half the crew while Jim, John, B.E.N., and the other half of the crew would venture to the planet's surface. The ones chosen to go with him were already aware and should have packed for it, so all that was left to do was for Francis to arrange food rations for the group as well as organizing their weaponry. Jim looked down at his outfit. It was a fitted blue and white navy coat with dark slacks and boots-good for commanding the ship, but not for exploration. He walked to his cabin and changed, wanting to be ready to leave as soon as he could. A beige tunic and black trousers were grabbed from his closet as well as a thin overcoat. 

As Jim pulled out his desired clothing, a dark jacket fell from one of the hangars onto the closet floor. He bent to pick it up. It was the same one he had worn so much before Treasure Planet. He remembered the first time he had really worn it. It belonged to his father, something he abandoned before he left. Sarah said he had meant to throw it away, that it was too small and too old, but Jim's eight-year-old self clung to it like it were the only thing in the universe, a reminder of the man he wanted in his life but never had. Over the years it had become a shelter for him, and he treated it like a barrier between himself and the world. He wore it almost constantly, up until he met Silver. Then everything changed.

He smiled softly, holding the jacket in his hands before hanging it back up in the closet. He didn't know why he brought it, but he did. It held little to no meaning for him now. He sighed, changing out of his Captain's apparel and into his chosen outfit.

When he stepped out from his cabin, he was greeted by laughing from the galley, recognizing the voices of Silver and Francis. He walked down the stairs and saw the two men in the kitchen, each cooking and delightfully chatting with each other. Francis turned to see Jim entering the space and smiled, offering a small bow. "Captain! What brings you to my humble galley so early this morning?" The boy smiled and walked over to one of the barrels, meaning to grab a purp, before watching it transform to an eager Morph, chattering and zooming around his head. "Hey, Francis. I think we'll be landing today, so I'll need some ration bags ready for the crew to pack," Jim said, tickling the pink blob. "My pleasure Captain," the cat said, turning back to his cooking. 

Silver hummed. "Ye came right in the nick o' time Jimbo! We was just finishin' our little cookin' competition. Figured we'd treat the crew ta a nice breakfast," he said, gesturing for the boy to come over. Jim saw that on the counters were an assortment of different foods all near ready for eating, sending wonderful aromas out into the kitchen. He breathed in the smells and smiled, sighing, and letting out an "Mmmm." John dried his hands on his apron and clapped the boy on the back. "Yessir, today'll be a good day fer eatin it will," the cyborg remarked, looking proudly at the grub set out in front of them. "The question is, who's the better cook?" Francis questioned from the other side of the kitchen. "That's what we're goin' ta find out!" John laughed, pulling out some plates from the cupboards.

Within the next half-hour, all the tables were set with utensils, drink, and food, hot and ready to eat. Francis rang the breakfast bell, and minutes later, the entire crew were down and seated, mouths watering at the sight before them. The clang and dings of silverware against plates echoed among the morning chatter of the group, delightfully digging into their meals with pleasure. Most everyone stayed at the same table with the same group on-board, so once again, Jim found himself dining with Francis, John, Onyx, and B.E.N. 

"Wonderful fare this morning, gentlemen," Onyx remarked, delicately smearing purp jam onto a muffin. Jim smiled, chewing on a bite of blue egg. "Definitely. Wouldn't turn this up any day," he said, allowing Morph to eat a morsel of the quiche on his plate. "I think we'll have to consider this a draw, my friend," Francis chuckled, looking over at John. "Aye, I'ma thinkin' we will. Everything seems ta be well liked!" The cyborg said, glancing around at the other tables. "Does this mean you'll have to do another cook-off?" Jim asked hopefully, taking a sip of his coffee. The chefs laughed, both agreeing that they should, but only after picking up more food at the next closest port. 

Breakfast was tidied up quickly, each crew member leaving comfortably full with sincere words of thanks to Francis and John. The cat got to work assembling ration bags while everyone else went back up on deck. Onyx called together the aliens chosen to go on planet for a meeting where Jim discussed their plan of action-at the end of which a loud voice called out from the crow's nest.

"Planet ho! Planet ho!" The lookout called, pointing ahead with his glass in his hands. The crew shouted and whooped, sprinting to the sides of the ship to find a good view. Jim and Silver ran up the bowsprit to see the mass in front of them better. There it was, a cloudy orb of luscious greens and blues hovering delicately in the Etherium. "There it is, men! Irenia!" Jim yelled. "Those boarding with me, you know who you are! Get ready, we leave in twenty minutes!" He said loudly, watching the respective crew members scattering to their quarters to retrieve their bags and equipment. "The rest of you, prepare ship for atmosphere dock!" The boy called out. Silver chuckled. "Ye really are made ta be a leader Jimbo," he said, stepping down from the bow. Jim jumped down after him, grinning. 

"Mr.Onyx!" The boy said, cupping a hand around his mouth. The cragorian turned to face him. "Yes, Captain?" 

"We'll be needing weapons for these men!" Jim called. "Of course, Captain," Onyx replied, pulling a key from his belt and walking to the gunroom. For the next fifteen minutes, the crew ran about, collecting rations from Francis and swords or guns from Onyx and anything else they'd been asked to bring on the expedition. Finally, they were all boarded on three of the four longboats in the departure hull, sailing out to the surface of the planet. John, Jim, B.E.N., and two others were in a boat, leading the others through the atmosphere until they landed carefully on a wide patch of land. 

Jim got out first, making sure all longboats were secure before directing the crew forward. B.E.N. had their detection device and was able to pinpoint a location for them to follow. The planet was a lush one, full of greenery and foliage that grew all over the surface of the world, providing a soft ground to walk on. Reaching the edge of a forest, Jim looked up at John. 

"You ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be, lad."