home is where your bionic heart lies

Chapter three~ home is where your bionic heart lies..

Vi and I where greeted by the rest of scavengers asking us to what we brought today and it was completely satisfying watching them laugh and cheer for the excellent haul we manage to Carry back to the compound , even Simon the leader of Vandal and the oldest of us joined in the commotion and patted my back.

"Well done you two you've manage to keep this shelter a float for another year and half with the scavenged parts you've brought." He beamed.

"No problem Simon we're only doing our jobs." I replied with a small smile.

"Hmph you nearly got fried and that's what you have to say." Vi snorted and walked away from the crowd towards the quarters.

"What did she mean you nearly got fried." Asked simon concerned laced his words.

"It's nothing really just got shocked while salvaging the stuff but I am totally fine." I said reassuringly.

simon sighed

"Alright but if you feel ill go to the infirmary so Hensley could check on you." He pointed a finger at my face and left, dampening the mood for everyone. I always felt that he felt guilty sending us out to scavenge in the wastelands but thanks to his bum leg he can't leave the compound to scavenge and it has been eating him ever since.

"Alright that's enough let's get Cody's haul and check if we can use these things." Riley my best friend Cut in ushering the others to go back to work.  they nodded   and split up for their own daily task while Rick, benedict and Sinon the trio mechanics of vandal began to unclamp the container attached to my bike. Riley walked towards me and flash me an apologetic smile.

"Great job there buddy couldn't have done it without You I would like to say but I wasn't with you so great job... Sorry about leaving you with Vi I know you hate her guts." Riley said guiltily.

I simply nodded and walked with him to the mess hall. Personally I don't really hate the other gunslinger with gusto, I only hate the part of her because I am not good enough for her eyes. For her I am only a techy with social Anxieties and a problem child who needs all his gizmos near him at all times, especially now that I have something inside my head shooting me tons of questions and prompts that I feel like I am babysitting a child. As soon as I get to my room I'd want to perform a low powered brain scan to make sure everything is in order. Kinda like a cat scan but mine requires something that would detect machinery and AI, probably placed along with my B.O.Ms.

For the past five years I had undergone A series of self oriented scans from bionic to neuro scans, trying to make out what are the effects of these machines that has replaced some of my organs, and even try and find some clues to why I was subjected to this kind of operation without my consent. I sighed defeated I am still clueless as the day I started.

"Uhh you okay there cody you just zoned out for a minute." Riley said snapping his finger in front of my face.

"Sorry just thinking... you know me right?"  I replied forcing a smile on my face.

"Like what?" He pressed.

I sighed. "It's nothing really Riley I am just tired from the ride."

"Hey if you have any problems just tell okay where friends and all." He smiled sadly but didn't press on.

We arrived at mess hall run by michelle one of the few Girls in vandal who knew how to cook even though it's mostly dehydrated Meat and fruit substitutes which she somehow manages to make it taste more like real food than synthetic ones for months. After being forced to live underground in large community bunkers built in cased that a nuclear fallout occurs and the surface become inhospitable for life, humanity found a better use for it when the machines turned against their creators and sent them running. since then what's left of humanity remained underground forced to rely on cloning  methods to create substitutes for food that was abundant in the past.

"Hey michelle two rations here where kinda starving here darlin'." Riley winked at the red headed girl who giggled.

"Whatever you like sweet cheeks." Michelle winked back which made Riley Red as a tomato.

"Damn, sweet cheeks?" I looked at Riley trying my best not to laugh and by the looks of his face I was failing miserably.

"Your gonna get it later Girly." He warned mockingly, then wink at her.

"Can't wait." She purred and handed him two small synthetic plastic bags filled with our rations. He handed me mine and then found empty seats near the holo projector and began to eat. The mess hall wasn't very big but it can housed at least fifty people shoulder to shoulder if given the circumstances, the place wasn't clean nor dirty giving it a bit of that real mess hall charm I always see in my old movies back in my room. Today wasn't very crowded so we managed to eat in peace  each telling stories of the jobs we did this day. I had only one job today so mine wasn't very long leaving out the part where a disembodied female voice kept on yapping in my head all day. Oddly enough "she" was very quiet right now

Like she didn't exist but a part of me knew she was there somehow, silent but not missing.

After finishing my rations I said my farewell to Riley who nodded then turned to michelle and he began to talk with her glee. every one knew they were an Item so no one bothered them not even the bold ones are brave enough to dance with the top gunslinger of Vandal, whose reputations clearly says shoot first ask questions later which kept michelle out of reach or so the other guys say. I turned left on an  intersecting hallway headed to the Male side of the compound where most our quarters where place. It took me only a minute to find the right automatic sliding door and punched in the numbers so I could enter. The steel grey door made whirring sound as it slid open, revealing a room filled with electronic to digital devices, ranging from simple scanners to incomplete drones, that would someday be put good use if it work. I stepped inside and automatically the door slid closed locking me inside. Five seconds later a circular device on the wall began to a emit green light bathing me from head to toe with green light, a countermeasure I installed in an event that if someone who isn't me would be locked inside this room until an overide code is supplied.

"Identity confirmed welcome back Cody." A robotic voice said.

I smiled. Genius

The device slid back into the wall, as I made my way towards  my bed and fell asleep

~~~

A/N: hello hope you enjoyed this chapter leave vote or comment if you like it's much appreciated and oh, by the way the picture on top is a cuter version of Vi from league of legends and Decided this is what my character Valerie Wiggins aka "Vi"should look like so what do you think?

Suffering from mental cramps- Nul

(1257 words)