Chapter 11: Tryouts

First period is over, the bell rings and everyone gets up to go to second period, Erik and Esme leave the classroom, "Are you gonna attend the pep rally this Thursday" Esme says as she and Erik are walking, "I'm not sure, why" Erik says, "No nothing just asking" Esme says. As the two are walking Kate is seen in the hall approaching Esme, "Esme" she says as she walks with Erik and Esme, "Hey Kate" Esme replies, "Hi Erik" Kate says leaning her head forward, "Hey Kate" Erik replies, "Ok so you know the pep rally is coming" Kate says, "Yea" Esme replies, "Sooo, I was going through my closet to find something to wear and I saw my cheerleading outfit from last year and I was thinking..let's sign up again; you, me, and Sarah" Kate says, "Ouu cheerleading yea..not for me this year" Esme says really not feeling it, "Oh come on please..it'll be fun" Kate says urging Esme to join cheerleading again, "I really don't want to this year, last year was fun but I'm not really up to it this year, ask Sarah I'm sure she'll join you" Esme says, Erik's just casually walking awkwardly listening to their conversation, "Ok fine I'll ask her, and imma urge her to tell you ok" Kate says, "I'll see you later missy" Kate says as she walks to her class. Erik and Esme walk silently, "So cheerleading, I didn't know you cheered" Erik says, "Eh..I used to Freshman year all the way through Junior year, but I'm not really feeling it this year" Esme says, "You should really consider it" Erik says, "Ok so your on Kate's side now" Esme says laughing, "No I'm not saying that..I just think you should consider it, what if Sarah agrees to do it" Erik says, "I'll have to see first..what about you? You play any sports" Esme says, "I'm not really a sports person, I did play Tennis but I stopped like 3 years ago" Erik says, "Tennis..sounds fun, you know I heard the football team is still looking for another player, why don't you play football" Esme says, "Football? Yea not for me" Erik says, "Oh come on, first you convince me to get back into cheer, then I ask you to play football and you deny it!" Esme says, "Esme! I don't know how to play football, I never learned.." Erik says, "That's why we have tryouts Erik.. Ok..how about this, you tryout for football 🏈 and I try out for cheer, that way we both convinced eachother to do things we both said to do" Esme says, "Fine I'll tryout" Erik says. The bell rings as it's time for second period, Erik and Esme dismiss eachother and head on to their class.
Lyle gets up and gets ready, he then leaves his house and goes over to the main house. He enters the house and heads to the den, inside the den is Amelia watching television, "Oh Hi" Lyle says, "Hello" Amelia says, "Um..do I know you" Lyle says, "No actually, our fathers work together and were just staying here for a week" Amelia says, "Oh.. well I'm Lyle" he says as he takes his hand out to shake Amelia's, "Hi I'm Amelia" she says, as she shakes Lyles hand, "Nice to meet you Amelia" Lyle says, "Nice meeting you too Lyle" Amelia replies, "Are you busy" Lyle says, "No not really just watching television" Amelia says, Lyle looks at Amelia and says, "You wanna hang out" Amelia smiles and says, "I'd love to" the two walk out and head to Lyles car and drive away.
The periods go by and it is now lunch time, Esme gets out of class and heads to the cafeteria. At the table is Kate and Sarah, "Hey guys" Esme says, "Hey girl" Sarah says, "So did you think about it" Kate says as she refers to the cheerleading tryout, "Fine I'll do it" Esme says, Kate smiles and cheers silently "Yay" she says. Erik comes for lunch, he sees Esme and her friends sitting, he decides to approach and sit down with them. Kate sees Erik approaching "Esme" she says in a low voice and giving her a eye look, Esme looks over and sees Erik, "Hey Erik" she says, "Hey Esme, Hi Kate Hi Sarah" he says, "Hey" Kate and Sarah say, Erik sits down next to Esme, "So guys Eriks trying out for the football team" Esme says, "Really?" Kate says, "Yea, I guess me and Esme urged each other to do sports" Erik says, "Well hopefully your good cause we've lost many times last year" Sarah says, "Oh I'm pretty sure he's gonna do great" Esme says cheering Erik up. As the girls talk, Erik looks over at Sarah and sees a scarf wrapped around her neck, he can also smell a little blood, "Hey Sarah that's a nice scarf you have" he says, "Thanks Erik" she says, "I love the fabric, can I take a closer look at it, do you mind taking it off" he says, "Oh I... I can't I'm sorry" she says, "Why not" Erik replies, "I don't know...I just know I can't take it off, I'm just gonna go" Sarah says as she gets up to leave, "I'll see you girls after school" she says as she leaves. Erik knows exactly what happened, he knows she's been compelled by Lyle! The bell rings and it's time for everyone to go to class. It's time for 8th period, Esme enters her history class and sits in the back, Sarah enters along with Kate who they sit next to each other on the right beside Esme, Erik comes in as well and sits next to Esme on the left. Esme leans in and whispers to Erik "Tryouts after school" she says, Erik who is fussed about it, "I know" he replies as they both laugh. The teacher comes in Mr.Rogowski who is also the football team coach, "Good afternoon class, remember this Thursday is our first pep rally of the school year and on Friday is our football game, hope to see you all there" he says as he continues on and with the class. School is finally over, "Hey Esme I'll see you at the track ok" Kate says as she leaves along with Sarah, "Yup see you there" Esme says, Esme and Erik get up and grab their bag and head on out, "So how you feeling" Esme says, "I'm alright, how about you" Erik says, "Well..hopefully I don't break a leg" Esme says as she laughs. The two walk down to the lockers to change and then onto the field.
Lyle and Amelia hung out together, they went shopping and to eat lunch, "That was amazing thank you Lyle" Amelia says, "Of course anytime" Lyle replies, the two get into Lyle's car and drive back home, but before they do "Hey I'm actually gonna stop by my brothers high school for a bit, do you wanna come or I can just drop you off at the house" he says, "I don't mind going with you" Amelia says, Lyle drives off as he heads to Beverly Hills High.
Esme gets out of the locker room and heads to the track where the cheerleaders will be training. As she walks down the field, she see's a group of boys in football outfits, she then see's Daniel, Matt, and Tyler. Esme and Daniel make eye contact, Esme decides to wave as Daniel waves back, "So are you two talking again" Matt says, "What" Daniel says, "Are you and Esme talking again" Matt says, "Oh.. I just apologized for how I was in the first day, nothing serious really" Daniel replies, "You know I think her and Erik are a thing, they basically hangout a lot, and it hasn't even been a week yet" Tyler says, "You don't know that, their probably just friends" Matt says, "Well see..prove me if I'm wrong but Erik, he has no balls" Matt says.
Esme meets with the rest of the girls who are trying out, she walks over to Kate who is stretching, "Hey Kate" Esme says, "Hey Esme" Kate says, "So I guess we're doing this again" Esme says, "Yep it's our last year, let's enjoy it and you know..have fun" Kate says. The two talk and stretch before the cheerleader captain comes and trains them.
Lyle arrives at the school along with Amelia, they both get out the car and walk to the field. Lyle looks around and immediately see's Sarah coming out of the locker room, he decides to go to her, "Hey I'm gonna go talk with someone, do you mind staying here" Lyle says, "Uhh sure why not, I'm gonna go check out the boys training" Amelia says, "Ok I won't be long" Lyle says as he walks away. Sarah is fixing her scarf to make sure no one see's her bite, as she's walking she bumps into someone, "Oh my god I'm so...." She says as she realizes it's Lyle, "Hey love" he says, Sarah stays frozen, Lyle looks into her eyes and compels her, "You know me, but your not gonna scream or call for help, you are gonna act normal" he says, "Oh Hi Joseph" Sarah says normally, "What are you doing" Lyle asks, "I'm going to cheer tryouts" Sarah says, Lyle looks at Sarah's scarf, "Did you tell anyone about your neck" he says in a demeanor voice, "No" she says, "Are you sure" Lyle says in a demanding voice, "I'm sure" she says. Lyle doesn't believe Sarah, he grabs her by the neck and chokes her, "DID YOU TELL ANYONE" he says in a raising low voice, "I swear I didn't tell anyone" Sarah says as she can hardly speak, Lyle immediately let's go as Sarah coughs as she breathes, she immediately begins to cry, "Hey no crying" Lyle says, he looks straight into her eyes and compels her, "Stop crying.. I want you to forget you saw me today, you were going to cheer tryouts" Lyle says as he immediately speeds away.
Erik walks over to the football field where every boy is trying out, he see's Coach Rogowski and approaches him, "Hello Mr. Rogowski" Erik says, "Menendez what can I help you with" Mr. Rogowski says, "Um I was wondering if I can try out for the football team" Erik says, The coach looks at Erik, "I don't know son, you don't meet the requirement" he says, "Please.. I promise you I won't doubt you" Erik says, "I'm sorry, you should of signed paperwork last week" coach says, Erik starts to get frustrated, "Coach" he says as Mr. Rogowski looks at Erik, "Let me on the football team" Erik says as he compels Mr. Rogowski, "Ok gear up" He says, Erik smiles and runs to the locker room to change.
Kate and Esme stretch as they await for the captain, "Sorry for keep you all waiting but let's begin" the captain says. Esme starts to notice that Sarah isn't here, "Hey where's Sarah I thought she would be here" Esme says to Kate, "I don't know, I think she's changing or she probably ditched us" Kate says, "Alright everyone let's begin" the captain says as they begin to train, "I'm here! Sorry I'm late" Sarah says as she stands next to Esme, "Hey Sarah I think you should take the scarf off, it's hot and you'll sweat" Esme says, "Huh..oh no I'm keeping it on" Sarah says, Esme is confused why won't she take the scarf off she thinks! The girls train and do some simple tricks, "Ok let's do what we did last year hopefully you all remember" the captain says. The girls line up and begin doing moves, Esme has forgotten the moves and looks completely lost, "Esme try to keep up" the captain says, Esme tries to follow along but is lost, "Ok Esme how about you stand in the back so you can remember the routine" the captain says. Esme goes to the back and watches everyone, she starts to get bored as she doesn't want to do this, she starts walking back to step away from the cheerleaders, she then see's Erik running in a football uniform, she decides to go see him tryout. She heads to the bleachers and stands on the side of them as she watches the football boys train. The boys get into their positions as Daniel says "Ready..set..hut" as the boys play. Matt throws the ball towards Erik, as Erik catches it and makes a run for it, he runs as he reaches a touchdown, every boy cheers as Mr. Rogowski blows his whistle "Well done Menendez" he says. Esme looks at Erik and smiles! The boys go again as they line up, "Watch me beat Erik up" Tyler says to Matt, Daniel calls it "Ready..set..hut" as the boys tackle eachother, Matt has the ball into his hands as he looks at who to throw it at, he see's Erik is available and throws it at him, Erik prepares to catch it as Tyler runs and tackles Erik down to the ground as Erik hits his back hard on the ground, Tyler gets up and leans to Erik's face "Better luck next time princess" he says, Mr. Rogowski blows his whistle, "Menendez you alright" he says, "Im ok" Erik says gruntly. Daniel walks over to Erik and pulls his hand out to let Erik grab on as he gets up, "Sorry about that" Matt says, "It's alright really" Erik says. Mr. Rogowski blows his whistle and says "Alright let's do it again, Tyler better watch it" he says, the boys line up again. Daniel begins and says "Ready..set..hut" as they tackle eachother, Daniel has the ball in his hand and looks to see who's available, he see's Erik is and immediately throws the ball to him, Erik jumps and catches it as he makes a run for it, Tyler is seen in front as he try's to stop Erik from scoring a touchdown, Erik runs as fast as he can trying to avoid Tyler. Tyler try's to block Erik but Erik immediately shovels him by the shoulder causing Tyler to go down, Erik runs and scores a touchdown, Mr. Rogowski blows his whistle "Well done Menendez" he says as the boys cheer and run to Erik. Esme smiles as she watches, she then decides to go back with the girls. Lyle goes and try's to find Amelia at the bleachers, "Hey let's go home" he says, Amelia gets up and walks down the stairs, they both head to Lyle's car, "Hey your brother plays football really good" Amelia says, "He does" Lyle says questionably, "Yea I just saw him score 2 touchdowns" Amelia says, Lyle looks concerned and then catches an idea, the two head home as the sun begins to settle for the evening.