21

"So, where are we going?"

I ask my boyfriend while we are in the car.
He's been driving for a while and still hasn't told me what this surprise is.

"Baby, be patient, you'll find out in about fifteen minutes. "

I puff, leaning my body back against the seat.
My hands play with the red satin dress, which falls lightly on me.

Wearing it, I feel a bit of Damiano on me, but I have to forget it.

I don't know if I should have called him to thank him but I didn't.

My rudeness? Maybe so, but the only way to forget him is to never speak to him again.
Even his voice gives me butterflies in my stomach and I hate the feeling it can give me.

"We've arrived, impatient girl. "
John jokes and I laugh lightly knowing it's true.

When I get out of the car, I still don't understand what his surprise is.

I see him opening a shop, which looks completely abandoned and dark.

I haven't figured out anything, but I've never seen but I'm following him from behind.

"I'm scared. "

I say quietly, for my good luck the lights turn on and many voices are heard in my ears.
"Happy Birthday Stella!"

My eyes tear up with emotion when I see my loved ones in front of me.
I'm stunned for two minutes straight without knowing what to say.
"Make a wish and blow out the candles!"
Bella next to me tells me before putting me in her arms and I think of my wish.

"I wish everything would get fixed. "

I make my wish without being heard and blow out the candles.

Everyone claps and falls on me.

"Happy birthday bestie!"
Victoria hugs me so tightly that I almost choke.

Finally, I hug John and take time to think about how grateful I am to have him after all.

"John, this is amazing. Thank you so much. I don't know what to say. "

He smiles, leaning in to kiss me as the music begins to play in my ears.
He has even invited people I haven't seen in a long time.
For the first time in months, I feel complete.

In the end, that's all I want to have.

I quietly sip the drink John poured me while I stare around the room.
The truth is, I have no desire to dance with the others or have fun.

Approaching the windows of the restaurant John had booked for my birthday, my eye catches a hurried shadow that I don't pay attention to at first.

I continue to stare outside but now my eye falls on a familiar car to me.
My heart stops once again when I see him leaning against his car and looking at me.

He holds a cigarette close to his lips, his gaze remains fixed on me as he looks me up and down.

How the hell did he know where I was?
I move away from the windows pretending not to see him and stressing at the thought that John might see him.

"Damiano is here. "

I whisper anxiously close to Victoria's ear while she is shocked.

"He texted me to talk but I told him I can't because it's your birthday. I told him where I am. I'm sorry, I didn't think he would come all the way here. "

I puff nervously and take another drink from the table in front of me.

"I hate him. "

"Okay, can I have your attention please?"

John's voice is loud, causing the music to stop and everyone including me to look at him curiously.

I am puzzled by this move and have no idea what he is trying to say.

"As you know, me and Stella have been together for a year and a half. I know for some people it may be a little bit, but for me it's the best year that i ever had and i'm so lucky to be with her."

I am shocked at the words that come out of his mouth and almost tear up with emotion.

He approaches me, presumably to kiss me, and everyone's eyes are fixed on me.

All this attention makes me feel the least, but uncomfortably I recognize how much he tries for us and how much he loves me.

"Stella. . . "
He says hesitantly.
I knit my eyebrows together in wonder and see him kneeling before me. From his hands he pulls out a small, blue box.
"Will you marry me?"

My mind stops and my eyes freeze.
My heart is no longer beating as I begin to understand what is happening.

A ring appears through the box, while at the same time everyone is looking at us in emotion.

I look around for an answer, something that will stop me.

His parents look at me waiting for an answer while Victoria shakes her head in the negative.

My eyes travel to the windows outside .

I can clearly see him looking at me with the hardest features I've ever seen.

Stop me.

I beg him from my heart but I know he won't.

I have to make a decision.
The best for me.

My mind and my heart are in a great battle and I don't know which one prevails.

"Yes John. I will marry you. "

I accept before I can think about it more and I feel my senses struggling to let go.

The end had come.
I knew this was the end.