Heritage

PIXAL's POV
I watched as the three heat signatures in the room bobbed around in jubilation, then dimmed significantly, a sign that the three boys had gone to sleep. Smiling, I turned off my infrared sight and turned back to the slaughtered device in my hands. Time to get back to work.

But as I tinkered on it with my tweezers, I couldn't help smiling and shaking my head in amazement. What luck! Here I was, wishing that Valt had a couple friends to help him through this challenging portion of his life, friends who truly understood what he was going through - and low and behold! Two Masters come waltzing through the front door, and they already know Valt! This day could not have ended so perfectly.

Well, it will have ended so perfectly, when I get this ding dang Elemental Navigation System to work.

Zane's falcon sqwaked beside me, the question in its tone causing me to look down. Valt's birthday supper still warming sat under its wings, but it smelled like it was getting a little too warm. I shot another look at the vengestone door, flared my infrared vision for a second to check if the three boys were still asleep, then smiled down at it. "You might want to just freeze it," I told my sibling-in-law. "It looks like Valt won't be eating with us tonight." The falcon bobbed its head, switching the function of its wings from heating to flash freezing. Frost immediately began fizzling over the plate.

I watched the quick process of the ice for a second, then turned back to my own process. A wire reconnected here, a conductor replaced here, a new wire added here, a little fiddling with the transmitter...snap the cover back on, and...

It was done. Two months of working on a pile of shredded metal and wires, which had been at the mercy of a child with no reins on his electrical power.

It was finally ready for the next phase.

And right now the next phase was to find out which Elements these two boys were Masters of.

The Elemental Navigation System worked two ways. One was only useful if an attack from an Elemental Power was strong enough; it could send a ripple through the air that the system could pick up and pinpoint. The other was if you press the button below the screen, it released a high pitch sonar that could detect an Element inside a person. Both ways could tell exactly which Element a potential Master had.

Presently, I was about to use the latter form of detection.

I turned fully towards the door to the Room of Tears. I pointed the navigation system towards it and pushed the button, sending out the signal. The screen displayed the waves traveling the space, then three Elemental Symbols lit up the screen. The one in the center was the octopus-like Symbol of Lightning - Valt.

The other two symbols on either side of him, though...they took my breath away.

No One's POV (morning)
Sleeping the whole night on a stone bench while leaning against a stone tree with those you treasured the most was possibly the most heartfelt and/or romantic thing you could ever do.

It's also the most painful.

When the trio woke up, they not only found themselves in each other's embrace, but also their bodies in nearly unbearable levels of soreness. All three could not feel their feet and certain areas of their backs, and it was revealed after checking that their skin sported dark spots from where they'd rested against the stone. The morning air was filled with the sound of uncomfortable groans as the three boys stood up and massaged their aching muscles.

"Okay, that is the last time I sleep on a bench," Xander moaned, cracking his back while squeezing his eyes shut from the pain.

Valt and Shu forced out simultaneous grunts, both nodding their agreement to the red head's proclamation. The two boys were practically joined at the hip, neither wanting to leave the other for a second. They took into account their lover's aching joints and took turns assuaging each other's sore spots, all the while shooting each other heartfelt looks that could give you a toothache just watching them. Poor Xander was left to massage his own sore body.