Part 3

INT.LYNN AND JEFFERSON'S BEDROOM-NIGHT

LYNN and Jefferson sit in bed in their pajamas.Lynn has a glass of red wine in one hand and a book in the other.Jefferson's attention is focused on the news on the TV.A FREELAND RESIDENT dressed in casual clothes is on the screen.

FREELAND RESIDENT

My wife and I were surprised when our daughter popped up at our doorstep.It was like she was frozen in time.We thought we'd never see her again. The next day she disappeared.It's heartbreaking.

Jefferson sighs as bad news seems to be a constant state of affairs in Freeland. He reaches for the remote and turns the TV down.

JEFFERSON

As soon as I feel like I have a grasp on the chaos in Freeland, it starts to feel like sand slipping through my fingers.

LYNN

You can't control everything Jeff. You take on your problems and everyone else's.

JEFFERSON

I feel like I owe it to them.

LYNN

I know you do...Agent Odell came by my office today.

JEFFERSON

What?!

LYNN

He wanted to know if my family has decided to take him up on his proposition.

JEFFERSON

And you told him no?

LYNN

I told him to leave.I Just don't think he's gonna take no for an answer.

Lynn takes a long sip of wine.

LYNN

Do you think Jenn going away to college is a good idea?I mean, I do want her to apply to Harvard but with everything that's going on should she even be staying at Garfield at this point?

JEFFERSON

We can't just stop her life Lynn. It seems like she's got things under control finally, as long as she doesn't start any more protests.

LYNN

It seems like she's taken a page out of Anissa's book.

JEFFERSON

Or they could both take after theirtenacious mother.

LYNN

Says the vigilante.

JEFFERSON

Touche'.

Lynn smirks claiming victory in the conversation.The energy shifts and Jefferson seems to be contemplating something.

JEFF

Lynn, I'm sorry.

Lynn takes a sip of wine and sits it down on the nightstand.

LYNN

Where's this coming from Jeff?

JEFFERSON

I know this wasn't your dream.I know this isn't how you envisioned your life and your family's life to be.I know this isn't ideal and that's my fault.

Lynn moves closer to Jefferson and lays on his shoulder.

LYNN

Jefferson, you know what my dream was?