Chapter 24

"Guys, we're on in five minutes." Julie reminds Alex, Reggie, Luke, and Alexis. Alexis is their new rhythm guitarist with talent on the guitar that rivals the masters. They've all been pretty depressed, even with the idea that they're going to open for P!nk. They rehearsed all day, making sure their songs were perfect for the concert, and Julie even took a day off school. Ray claimed she was "sick" and the school took that as a decent excuse.

"We know, Julie. That's the fifteenth time you've said it." Alex points out, and Reggie wraps his arms around her, hoping to calm her down.

"Everything will be okay." Reggie whispers in her ear.

"You guys only have eight days left. I can't lose you guys, too." Julie refrains from crying since her makeup is done, but it's hard when it might be the last time they perform together.

"You can't get rid of us that easily. Trust me." Luke goes to ruffle her hair, but Julie grabs his wrist, and he pulls away. That's when a piece of paper randomly shows up in the middle of the air, floating to the floor. "You guys see that, too, right?" Luke points to the paper that's now on the floor.

"What does it say, Lex?" Reggie asks as the other girl in the band picks up the paper, unfolding it to see the familiar beautiful handwriting which tells them it's from Brielle.

"It's from Brielle." Every scrambles to read it first, but Alexis starts reading aloud.

"Hey Julie and the Phantoms,

I know you guys have been mourning my loss since my time ran out yesterday, but I'm still here. Alex has definitely seen me once or twice, even if he doesn't tell you guys. I'm going to watch the concert from the crowd, and even though you won't hear me, I'll be your loudest fan. Promise me you guys will take every chance you can and not mourn over the loss of someone who should have run out of time a long time ago.

Anyways, have a good show and I'll be cheering you guys on from the crowd.

~Brielle" Alexis reads the last sentence with a smile, and it brings up everyone's morale. That note is exactly what they needed to hear so they could get on stage and blow everyone away.

"Julie, band, you're on in one!" The stage manager calls. Julie opens the door, recognizing this is when they have to head to stage. "Follow me to the stage. The instruments are already set up." Julie nods at the stage manager as the four of them follow, finally able to relax for the first time all day.

"Welcome to the stage, a local Los Angeles legend, Julie and the Phantoms!" An unseen announcer calls out and the whole crowd cheers, familiar with who the band is from YouTube.

"Hello, everyone! I am Julie, and thank you for coming to our beloved City of Angels!" Julie smiles into the mic, already excited for the songs she gets to play. "First off, one of our dearest friends has recently passed, so we would like to dedicate this first song to her." The crowd cheers for a moment before going completely silent to allow the up-and-coming band to play their first song.

"Here's the one thing I want you to know
You got someplace to go
Life's a test, yes
But you go toe-to-toe
You don't give up, no, you grow" Julie starts on the piano, and the crowd cheers, even though they don't know the song.

"And you use your pain
Cause it makes you you
Though I wish I could hold you through it
I know it's not the same
You got living to do
And I just want you to do it
So get up, get out, relight that spark
You know the rest by heart" Luke joins in for the pre-chorus, harmonizing perfectly with Julie, even if none of the other instruments have joined in yet.

"Wake up, wake up if it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost, it's what you'll gain
Raising your voice to the rain
Wake up your dream and make it true
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
Relight that spark
Time to come out of the dark
Wake up, wake up" All three guys and Alexis start playing their instruments, creating an amazing sound to compliment Julie's singing.

"Better wake those demons, just look them in the eye
No reason not to try
Life can be a mess, I won't let it cloud my mind
I'll let my fingers fly" Luke sings alone, and the crowd cheers, half the female population rushing towards the stage because they want his autograph or to touch him.

"And I use the pain 'cause it's part of me
And I'm ready to power through it
Gonna find the strength, find the melody
'Cause you showed me how to do it
Get up, get out, relight that spark
You know the rest by heart" The star pair of the band sings together, before Luke goes into a guitar riff for the beginning of the chorus.

"Wake up, wake up, if it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost, it's what you'll gain
Raising your voice to the rain
Wake up your dream and make it true
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
Relight that spark
Time to come out of the dark
Wake up, wake up" Alex, and Reggie join in a bit for this chorus, preparing themselves for the bridge. Alexis doesn't want to sing, but she holds the beat and melody with her rhythm guitar.

"So wake that spirit, spirit
I wanna hear it, hear it
No need to fear it, you're not alone
You're gonna find your way, oh" Reggie sings the first line, with Alex following, Luke third, and Julie fourth, building up to the final chorus. Lex plays a killer solo as everyone sings, stunning the audience. She has yet to be in any of the videos posted, but the crowd is just as much in love with her as the rest of the band.

"Wake up, wake up if it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost, it's what you'll gain
Raising your voice to the rain
Wake up your dream and make it true
Look out, look inside of you
When you're feeling lost
Relight that spark
Time to come out of the dark
Wake up, mm, wake up" Except for the first and last lines, everyone is singing, and the crowd goes wild.

Every single member of Julie and the Phantoms has a huge smile as they start the second song, and it even stays for the third song. Although they are done for the night, since P!nk's second opener is supposed to head on now, the crowd is begging for an encore. An encore that won't ever come.

They walk off the stage, heading into their green room for the rest of the show, able to watch on the TV in their room. A half hour later, the boys all have a thirty second episode of pain and near-vomiting. Lucky for them, Julie and Alexis are too interested in the TV to notice, although it does go through their brains that the guys are acting weird. By the time Julie finally convinces herself to look at the guys, the episode has ended and they're back to normal.

"The concert's done! Who else is ready to go home?" Julie asks, seeing all of guys behind her playing a game and jamming out to the music coming from the television. Alexis left a minute ago when her brother stopped by. The guys all agree it's time to go home before they end up sleeping there, and the four of them meet Ray at the entrance with beaming smiles on their faces.

"So, mija, how was the concert?" Julie launches into a huge ramble about their opening songs, watching the other opener and P!nk herself. "Sounds like it went well, then."

"Yes, papi, it did." Julie agrees with an even bigger smile than before.

Author's note: Who else would like to see the whole band perform Wake Up?? I was going to write an original, but then I realized that was a good song to use (mostly because then my lazy butt didn't have to write an original), and now I want to see what it would really sound like. Anyways, only a few chapters left, so make sure to vote, comment, etc.

Before I forget, does anyone want a sequel to this story? Obviously it's not done and I'll ask in the last chapter, but definitely debating whether to do a third book or not.

Loves,

mistyrider921

~𝄞~